Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone ever seen? 1961-D cent obverse. Error? What? How?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wasn't gonna post any photos until I get a new 'scope to replace this plastic-lense horror, but I am totally stumped over this -- error? I seriously first put in some hours researching and failing to find anything prior to laying it out here and now; this isn't simply a jump-ball posting call.

The marks are incuse to level-at-best, not raised like a die clash can be -- which I suppose would make this a counter-'something' strike. You can see a 'line' across both top and bottom where the mars are sharply cut off. There's a partial, whatever this is, just beneath, showing a couple of what would be in-between and you can see another, much lighter, nearly parallel of whatever this is across the date. The outer lines in that one don't look straight, but they are. Same width too.

I realize it's impossible to see all the tiny scratches within each mar from this photo, along with not being able to see other subtilities either. Just hoping someone is familiar with whatever caused this. The imprint reminds me of a chain drive that's thrown its belt.

Swamp

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8016 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do see what you're talking about, but I can't tell what it is.
Errors and Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22960 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the date? Maybe a LAM?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me either, E&V.. Befuddled with this 'un for sure..!

John1 -- Wish it was that simple.. It's just the lightest of impressions..
You can actually see the outline of that one much better in the photo than IRL..

Swamp
Pillar of the Community
United States
1592 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glare makes it a bit challenging gauging depth. I'm thinking peeled lamination or struck through a long narrow thin piece of scrap.

Leaning towards lamination as the image also seems to show signs of another retained lamination or similar running through the date area. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
07/12/2018 2:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26574 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is going on with that tracking from the forehead down to the lower shoulder?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8016 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing by his head is definitely a Lamination error. Nice find and congratulations!
Errors and Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22960 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably need better photos,less glare,color inversion maybe.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
8764 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Swamp, could it be this?
http://www.error-ref.com/die-subsidence/

I don't see any cracks but it could fit the bill...in reverse tho. Where the die itself may bulge instead of sink in? I'm not seeing a lamination, there really aren't that many on newer coppers after 1965, the process of alloy making had become much better then a kettle and wood fire from LWC days!

Or try this one, looks more promising:

http://www.error-ref.com/reciprocal...oncavo_dies/

Edited by Crazyb0
07/12/2018 3:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the marks are slight incuse, are we sure that it isn't just creative PMD? @swamp, can you tell us if there are flat spots on the rev?
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Glare makes it a bit challenging gauging depth...or struck through a long narrow thin piece of scrap...
Doug -- I shot it hot on purpose because I thought it showed better depth separation.. Unfortunately that didn't translate well to the 'date' thing.. That does look like a lamination in the photo, but be assured it is of the lightest of strikes.. No peeling there or anywhere on the coin..

If it was just the one row, or even that and what's immediately beneath, I'm pretty sure I would have called it a strike through right off the bat.. However, when you include what's over the date as well, that makes a strike-through-only a real stretch, for me at least.. A strike through and separate-but-same event might be workable.. Or a series of up-stream events ultimately resulting in some sort of counter-struck die-cap? might be workable too, although a realll stretch.. I simply don't know what this is, or what caused it..
Quote:
What is going on with that tracking from the forehead down to the lower shoulder?
Coinfrog -- That is the question..
Quote:
Probably need better photos,less glare,color inversion maybe.
John1
John1 -- You got it..! As I said in my opening sentence... It's my bad, really.. This should have waited until I have a way for better MUCH better photos.. There's just too much "looks like" in this photo.. I thought I'd explained away the "what they aren't's" well enough, but guess not..

So thanks, y'all.. I'll just re-post this when I have better photo-taking equipment..

Swamp

EDIT: Crazyb0 -- Not a subsidence issue.. Appreciate the not a lamination too.. I think it really wants to be some sort of a strike through.. I just can't explain the totality of it all..

Spence -- Nothing on the back except some usual suspects early stage greasing starting to set up below the bottom step center and between & above top of 5th & 6th columns..

Pillar of the Community
United States
1111 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are lamination issues.
The perpendicular striations across the long runs are the telltale.
I have one that I have never photographed and would have to dig for , that is similar. About the only way tell its a lamination issue is the striations in the area are toned differently than the rest of the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22960 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Mike needs to weigh in on this one?
John1
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05