Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Way To Display/Store Coins.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,320Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1665 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2018  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Hi everyone. It's been a few years since I've been on here. I see some old faces and a lot of new. Anyways, back to my coins now and I've been wondering what people tend to use to protect, display and appreciate their collections. So I'm going to take a poll here. I have personally always used date set books but I get irritated when I add a coin that wasn't in the album and then have to shift every single coin over. Lol. FML. Hahaha. So I'm trying to decide a way that organizing is quick, easy, secure and accessible. Feel free to add any additional comments and options. Cheers all!

Poll Choices
  2x2 cards stored in boxes
  2x2 cards placed into binders
  Date set books with sleeves
  Individual coin hard cases
  Multi coin hard cases.
  Individual coin sleeves
 Other

Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad more than one choice was allowed, I use binders w/2x2 and Whitman Albums, depending on specific collection. US coins in personally laid out Album books using personally labeled blank pages or for my Expanded 707 have binder and 2x2's. Same with other types and coins in general..,
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1665 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank JBuck! Good to be back. It's so funny how when you take a break and come back to collecting it's like zero to 60 huh lol. It's great!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1665 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys and gals, I should have added this part to the "Other" option in the poll but if you pick other, I would love to hear how you have creatively have gone about displaying/storing you collection! Don't be shy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was one of the "others". In more than 50 years of collecting coins, I have used every method you listed in your survey at one time or another.

Now I keep most of my collection in acid free paper 2x2 envelopes. I write information about the coin on the front including grade, variety, interesting features (I write small) and on the back what I paid and sometimes the date acquired. For the nicer grade coins, I will use a cotton liner in the paper envelope. (unfortunately, most of mine don't require that)

I like to take my coins out and study them, so this is the best method for me.

But... there are times when I can imagine them all nicely displayed in one of those old Capitol plastic holders.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used them all and I really don't find one superior to the other. It all depends on the coin and situation. I will say I like my higher grade\value coins in hard plastic, but I want to open the holder up and study the coin on occasion. I can't do that with slabs but I guess that's a good thing for some situations.
Edited by Taurus
08/02/2018 2:51 pm
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's so funny how when you take a break and come back to collecting it's like zero to 60 huh lol. It's great!
I can imagine!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1665 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate everyone's opinions in this poll, please keep them coming. I personally have decided, that for me, I would like to go the 2x2 and place them in binders. For me this makes sense. Ideally, when I'm satisfied with a particular collection, grades, varieties etc etc, then I think a more personal touch could be in order and have them transferred into date set books again. Thanks again all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3144 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, personally, use 1 1/2 X 1 1/2's rather than 2 X 2's and you get 30 to a page rather than 20. I use the pages for my large cents and there is more than enough room to write descriptions and annotations on the holders if you write small (such as D/C's or D/P's or Obv types). You can get the holders and pages at most coins supply stores.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
538 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too use 2x2's.

I pondered how to present/store coins the best way for years before coming up with this idea that I don't mind sharing. I think it looks particularly satisfying. This is just one page but it gives you an idea of what your collection can look like if you obtain maps of the place where your coins are from, then cut the map in pieces that fit snugly in the 2x2 spaces. Done right, this will brighten your collection and add character.

Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
Learn More...
Canada
9260 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins or slabbed coins in boxes. For the PCGS slabbed coins, I really do like the Showcase sets.

https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/co...strikes/3812
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2417 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
storing and displaying are 2 different things,

I store my coins in 2x2s in binders,

I display my coins digitally for everyone to see, but not find

Pillar of the Community
Canada
538 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wade, what do u mean by find?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,320Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05