Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bag Of 5,000 Wheat Cents

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,038Next Topic
Page: of 2
36 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add loubaby51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all! New here after being insulted off another site for trying to start some dialog about some wheats I own. I bought a 5000 bag of wheats in 1996 off eBay and decided to hold them in the safe until retirement.I just recently opened it to start sorting when I discovered the entirety of the bag contained IMPD coins! All years all mints. Just to confirm, I have 5000 of these. Before I was ready to start marketing them I needed to know exactly what I have here. My opinion is that whoever I bought from must have had 10's of thousands of these and my concern is how did this many (for lack of another term) culls get out of the mint as the coiner required by law to account for waste and recycle the metal. Does anyone have any thoughts, concerns or questions so I can feel 100% comfortable marketing these guys. THX

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47757 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two toned cent was probably dipped half way down on a container and turned half pink the other part dark. Now moving away from the pink stage.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LoubabyHere!

I'm having the Mods move your post to it's own listing so we can all give it the proper attention and greetings.

Ouch, you got one of those wonderful eBay "unsearched Bag" didn't ya. Think we've all fallen for that one! What you got is a dealers cull bag for sure. He had searched MANY wheats. Foe instance, I had searched massive quantities when I first started, up to over 33,000 of them buggers. I kept all the culls separate when I sold off all the 1000/5000 coin lots, but still, I only had about 400 culls which I did get rid of as a lot...as culls even! So just think how many were looked through to pull that many out! Must have been years worth! Sorry ya got took on that batch, but there are some better ones out there, dont give up hope! And, some may be scarce and still have some value althi damaged.

Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2497 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my concern is how did this many (for lack of another term) culls get out of the mint

they didnt leave the mint as culls, they left the mint as regular MS coins and through years of abuse became cull.
then the culls were plucked from massive amounts of regular (non PMD) circulating coins and dumped on an unsuspecting buyer (in this case YOU)

if you paid more than a penny(cent) each you got taken. I would tempted to contact the buyer if the description of the lot was misrepresented.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you paid more than a penny(cent) each you got taken.

wheats in any condition will sell or 2 or 3 cents to the copper bugs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1687 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but you've set a couple records on this forum from what I've seen - you bought coins off eBay in 1996, and you waited 22 years to actually look at them.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Before I was ready to start marketing them I needed to know exactly what I have here.

From those pics you showed damaged copper cents worth about 2 cents each to a copper bug stacker type
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The two toned cent was probably dipped half way down on a container and turned half pink the other part dark.

Can of coke probably putting it half in for a science experiment
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6911 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

What do you plan to 'market' them as? They are culls and worth copper value.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14565 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got taken , hope you didn't pay too much for that junk bag . Do you remember how he listed it ? Chances are he might have said they were culls , too late now I don't think his return policy stated '' Up To 22 Years ''.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1680 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The steel cent looks ok, unless I am missing something. So maybe some of the coins would carry a small premium. I didn't understand your post. Are you asking for the best way to sell damaged/worn coins online?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20004 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Apparently this bag was used as a sort of club by gangsters.
Coins shown are basically what is called PMD or Post Mint Damaged.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF

Hope the rest of your coins are in a better shape!
Edited by Chase007
08/04/2018 5:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2018  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
loubaby51 to CCF.
You are in one of the best sites, if not the best of its kind...where knowledgeable experts help. Have an open mind from the experts' coin assessments. You will be learning from the experts, as I, the newbie, am learning. At first, I tried to find the most mangled coin there is without buying though. Got coins from banks. After I post my coins at CCF, I start getting feedbacks from the experts. That's the beginning of my educational process. Enjoy the hobby... Learn first then the premium (marketing of coins) will follow... NOT buy coins ... Expect for premium ...then learn. The experts will help you....have fun...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,038Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05