Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dug 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent in Great Shape. Need your take.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  09:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BTV Digger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. Dug this 1803 Draped Bust LC last week at a very old permission site here in the Champlain Valley of VT. I've been lucky to dig a number of Draped Bust LCs in my years of metal detecting (8 so far this year alone) but I've never found one looking this sharp after being in the ground 200+ years in all my years of digging. Typically, they're highly worn and corroded as you can imagine. I'm fairly confident it's a common Sheldon 251 variety (small date/small fraction), but wanted your take on value. I don't sell my coins by the way - just love saving history, either by collecting or digging! Just was curious. It's got Fine/Xtra Fine details beneath the very mild corrosion. Does $50 seem reasonable? Thanks for any input.

John

Pillar of the Community
United States
3056 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick dumb question for ya. I remember metal detecting with my father as a kid (and about the only thing we ever found were pop tops!). We used an ice pick to "dig up" whatever we detected. How do you dig up the items you detect without accidentally damaging them? I'm guessing you do NOT use an ice pick!
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  09:14 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an epic find.
Congrats.
It may clean up a little with acetone and then a bath in olive oil. In any event, $50 is a very low estimate. I would put the retail on a coin like that at $150
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8454 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BTVdigger, I agree that this is a super find. I'm sure that you are very careful with all of your finds, but please be gentle with this one if you decide to give it a bath in acetone--no rubbing or scratching to remove the corrosion. I think better to leave a little extra than to end with scratches on the fields.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
61543 Posts
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sheldon Overton Baby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very impressive find in that shape. I was expecting more porosity than that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28933 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone in favor of using Verdi-Care on this, or is that too extreme?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/08/2018 1:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8941 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would just go with a long acetone soak .
Very impressive ground find .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4975 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had some success with Vickies that have had similar corrosion and crud by soaking them in acetone for a few days and then giving them the Verticare treatment.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTV Digger - that's an incredible find. I've seen lots of these in worse shape that weren't in the ground. Enjoy this piece of history.
Member ANA and EAC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3020 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome find! I would say it is worth more than $50. Maybe closer to $100.
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BTV Digger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the input folks! I definitely am done doing anything to this coin. I only used a soft toothpick and some "fingernailing" to get the main dirt layer off and that's how she looks. To Prethen: I normally use a narrow blade shovel and dig large, wide holes to avoid scratching any items I dig. Unfortunately you still end up dinging a few. Case in point I scratched the reverse of a XF 1900-O Barber Half earlier this spring. Ugh.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05