Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help! Verify 1893-S Morgan Silver Dollar Need to know if this is authentic

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  05:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add clyr06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking at purchasing this coin online. It is stated to be an 1893-S Morgan silver dollar. I have done research on looking for certain marks and placement of things but I am by no means an expert. I would appreciate your help so I don't make a bad decision on something that isn't authentic. I will attach the photos that were provided to me.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24717 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. No pro so I can't say it is real or not. Give it a bit and a pro will chime in. Mean time look here for valuehttp://www.coinprices.org/cgi/coinp...proof=&plus=
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clyr06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much I appreciate it... thankful for a place to come to ask questions and get advice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5482 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from those pictures.
Too small and not clear enough to say for sure.
How much do they want for it?
That might be an indicator.

Also
To the CCF
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clyr06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132736456606
This is the post online if that helps just want to make a smart decision
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the coin the date is in the correct position with the raised 3 and mint mark appears correct with a tilted right S, but to be sure the coin is genuine the die markers in T and R would need to be checked. The seller offers no refunds, so it could be a hassle getting a refund if needed. On the Morgan key dates you are always better off buying the online coin in a NGC or PCGS holder because there are so many fakes. From information available the coin appears genuine, but I would pass on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7380 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't buy this one if I were you. Pics too small, and seller doesn't accept returns.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the area under the chin is showing signs of being cleaned, my guess is the coin has been cleaned.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clyr06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller is going to get better photos that I will share once I have received. With the coin in this condition and if it has been cleaned what would a fair price be to pay for this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3933 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a chance that the coin is genuine but are you willing to take that risk with just having limited recourse if it's not?

As mentioned previously, it looks to have been cleaned. The swirl marks in the fields are clues.

Any seller wanting to get "top dollar" for a rare coin such as this would have the coin 3rd party graded to ease potential buyer's concerns over authenticity and condition. I think he knows it has problems and is just trying to unload it.

Too many questions about the coin and not enough answers. The "no returns" policy would kill the deal for me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never buy any coin, no matter how tempting, from a seller who didn't offer returns.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clyr06 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He uploaded better pictures on the eBay listing of the mint and the liberty in the crown. Let me know your thoughts. He said he has had the coin 15 years and it has just been kept in that plastic holder. He is unsure if the coin was cleaned before he purchased it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1544 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won't it get a details grade, if genuine, because of the hairlines on the obverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7239 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:22 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might have been broken out of a details holder.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would grade the coin VG details cleaned. New seller photos do not help. It will sell in the 2K range.

Go to Heritage, find one in VG condition with a straight grade . It is your best chance to get a 1893 s genuine coin at a fair price.
Edited by Slider23
08/09/2018 11:28 am
Learn More...
United States
63504 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05