Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1945 P penny DD and other questions

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1945 p penny with a few things I'm not sure about

5 in 1945 looks thick
LIB looks thick and L is touching rim
GOD has some marks on it DD or ?
WE touching rim and the W has marks DD?
TRUST the letters have marks on the top DD
E on reverse is different from the Es Ive seen on Coppercoins but dont know if its significant or if any of it is or just MD or other.
Thanks

Edited by Jessiescorpio
08/09/2018 11:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12936 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see Die Deterioration (die wear), damage on the devices on the obverse, and a Struck Through Grease issue on the reverse. There's no Doubled Die.
Errers and Varietys.

More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950

Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dam lol another sample. What about letters touching the rim or thickness of letters number etc?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the LI on LIBERTY that is wider (and lower) because of grease retained in those devices. PLU on reverse is also the same issue. PSD on rim and WE area. I agree no hub doubling.
When looking for enlargement of devices, the tops of the devices should be rounded and not flat.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Also, it looks like the devices we're damaged from a coin rolling machine. Notice how the top half's of some of the devices are flattened a little or the technical definition "smushed down".
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotcha. thanks for samples. btw what causes this on the 9 and 5?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die chips were the product of the thinking of the 50's wheat cents of running the dies past the normal retirement. So many coins with die events happening of the coins. A very common issue to find on this era of coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
got it the 1957 was the first ive seen is this common on other years?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 1950's what cents. (Also the BIEs are common of this era)
Richard S. Cooper

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
older cents as these two but I guess it doesn't matter its still not an error coin on any coin. disregard
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do the LIBE for 60s era pennies all vary in size?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends. They were all created (except for 1960 small date) from the same master hubs. But when a die is over polished the devices get thinner because the the bottom of the wide base of the devices are reduced.

So they should be the same, unless the dies were polished. (the devices on the 1960 small dates are a bit different)
Richard S. Cooper

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good to know thanks for samples. would this coin be die deterioration as well?

6 has an extra piece of something and
R is curled up on the left bottom part

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like chips on the date, but not that it is a lamination issue where parts of the metal peeled and moved to a new location? ('6')
Richard S. Cooper

United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to clean it off thought it was debris it didnt move. is this metal that was chipped when made then stuck to coin?

the 9 looks like it has horns on it lol

I doubled checked against a same year coin. the reverse found the E to have a point at the top left.

Edited by Jessiescorpio
08/10/2018 02:07 am
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jessiescorpio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so would the chip on 6, horns on 9, and hooked R be a error when made? I forgot to mention the A above the E
Edited by Jessiescorpio
08/10/2018 04:26 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05