Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What grading company?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I have always been drawn towards NGC and PCGS slabbed coins for my collecting. In fact I have never purchased a graded coin outside of these 2 companies.

I know these are the best 2 companies, and I feel that other coin companies don't grade correctly, from coins I have personally seen and handled and compared grades of coins between other companies vs NGC/PCGS.

What coin grading company do you prefer to send coins to or prefer for coins you purchase?

Poll Choices
 NGC
 PCGS
  NGC and PCGS
 ICG
 ANACS
  All coin grading companies
  I don't buy graded coins
  Other coin grading companies only

Edited by kylecolb
08/10/2018 08:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17188 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing for sure is if you want the highest price for a coin, best use PCGS. At coin shows all the time I hear of course it cost more, it is graded by PCGS.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure PCGS is a great grader, but how much better is PCGS than NGC?

I don't have any multi-thousand dollar pieces but for the coins I do have and collect and purchase I don't see a huge difference between NGC and PCGS
Pillar of the Community
United States
3699 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an NGC/PCGS type.
When I send coins in for grading they go to NGC because I'm an ANA member and therefore automatically have an NGC account at no cost.
When I buy slabbed coins they are 80-90% in PCGS holders; that's not intentional ... but preferred.

I have some Early Commemoratives in ICG and ANACS slabs.
But they are slowly being replaced by commems in PCGS or NGC holders.
It makes life simpler.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
14639 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think your poll question is very clear.

"What grading company?"

...do you use?
...do you buy coins graded by?
...is your favorite?
...is in the same boat with you?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3133 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although reputation does carry a premium for a couple of these companies, I think the grading is no more or less accurate at any of them. We can all cherry pick mistakes in grading or even in the labeling done by each of them and use that mistake to say a company is not good. That being said, the value of the coin I am sending in would certainly drive where it went. Not because the grading, but because of the grading companies reputation at the time I am submitting that would allow me to sell for a higher $ amount. If the coin is not a high value and my goal is to simply protect it in a slab and have a professional grade it, then they are all equally capable and all equally fallible.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry nss-52, edited question
Pillar of the Community
United States
3200 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  10:22 am  Show Profile   Check Imthealphaomega's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To quote Kanga

"I'm an NGC/PCGS type.
When I send coins in for grading they go to NGC because I'm an ANA member and therefore automatically have an NGC account at no cost.
When I buy slabbed coins they are 80-90% in PCGS holders; that's not intentional ... but preferred."

That is prettty much my mindset as well.
Learn More...
United States
63504 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never sent a coin in for grading and I doubt I ever will. Doubt, but never save never.

That being said, I have been building a set of graded Ikes to complement the set in my Dansco. I have settled on builing with PCGS graded coins, but I do have a couple in NGC. I do not think I can go wrong with either.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11127 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe this is a question that has one answer.

Country matters such as PCGS is king in USA, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand.

What it is matters too. Common Morgans and Peace dollars sell for about the same whether they're PCGS/NGC/ICG unless you are talking about monster toners or the highest grades then you would want PCGS.

Grade and Value matters too. PCGS for top grades and coins over say 300ish into the higher values, but 200 or under and especially 100 and under the differences are usually minimal.

Straight grade or details grade matters too. Details coins the company matters less and it's really just the certification that matters.

The point I am trying to make is how much the company matters will vary depending on the subject matter at hand but overall PCGS has the advantage which has been growing not shrinking over the last couple years even though there are still times where NGC or ICG may make more sense and the company wouldn't matter as much.

Quote:
For sure PCGS is a great grader, but how much better is PCGS than NGC?

Depends what you're talking about, its mostly higher values and higher grades and top pops where PCGS is tighter. PCGS emphasizes eye appeal more where NGC goes more technical and ends up with more ugly looking coins in those areas.

The other thing is the PCGS slab is optically superior to everyone at this point which matters to a lot of people since you have to look through the slab to see the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first slabbed coins were PCGS (set of silver State Quarters, PR69). They came with boxes. Bought more PCGS coins, bought more boxes. NGC won't fit in those boxes. It's a vicious cycle. I still don't have any NGC coins.

I know, there are boxes that hold both, but those are expensive and suitable for display, not tucked-away storage. I like being able to put all coins from a set (as I define it for myself) in the same box, so I'm content. I also just like the PCGS holder design better.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased coins in all holders irrespective of holder. Sent 'major' coins to PCGS, and before they graded SCD's I used ICG for that and generic gold. I like ICG's holder and their older green label almost as much as PCGS. Old ANACS holders (before those cheap blue ones you can open with a twist) were/are always worth a close look. Never have sent to NGC. Don't like their holder, nor grading consistency with midgrade Barber halves or circ classic commems. If I find a coin I like in NGC and essential to the long-term, I always crack and send raw to PCGS. My experience - very small and selective personally and in the midgrade Barber community - is PCGS will rarely cross an NGC coin at the NGC grade.

It's a neat idea for a poll, but there are so many variables
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
United States
5600 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My answer is "another type of other:" No TPG means more to me than any other b/c the coin itself, plus nothing, is what I am interested in. When coins are graded there is an "added value" perceived by some b/c a grading service has assessed the coin and made a decision concerning it.

I like the looks of slabs when I see a nice set lined up, and I understand others can have fun with the hobby knowing a grading company's opinion has been stated (hence added value). But I personally don't have any interest in someone else's opinion of my coins. To each his own.

I DID send in some coins to be slabbed so in case something happens to me my family will know think twice about them being worth something rather than change to be cashed in at the bank. These went to NGC b/c its the one the local guy here told me he sends them to, and it was before I decided to do my own homework on TPGs to find ANACs may have been less expensive to use.

As has already been mentioned, PCGS seems best for making profits. But I would definitely take into account what Basebal said about these:

Quote:
Grade and Value matters too. PCGS for top grades and coins over say 300ish into the higher values, but 200 or under and especially 100 and under the differences are usually minimal.

b/c Basebal does enough with buying slabs to know the market info about PCGS. I personally was not aware that the 200 and below values work as he mentions b/c I don't do those comparisons specifically. I will be keeping his opinion on this in mind though for future reference.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally was not aware that the 200 and below values work as he mentions b/c I don't do those comparisons specifically.

It was a bit of an over generalization to make the point that the lower the price the less it matters though that likely applies more to a buying standpoint than a submitting one. It's pretty much impossible to give a short response that applies to everything but for the most part excluding moderns it matters less as the coin values are lower, even though the differences are minimal or smaller it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Series matters a lot too. Morgans and Peace dollars in lower values and common date common grade you don't really see big price differences between PCGS/NGC/ICG on say a 90 dollar Morgan, but you still likely would see a significant spread on a grade dependent 90 dollar modern circulation coin. I keep using Morgans for the example just because there's such a glut of them in most dates and grades that unless something really stands out with the coin their prices are one of the more standardized series.

There's times and areas where using other services can make sense for various reasons as long as the submitter is aware that they'd have to sell it at a discount to PCGS and it would likely take longer to sell. For example if you have a couple of coins that need conservation it's actually cheaper to send them to ICG first for that and then to submit to PCGS after on the ones you want to then it is to pay PCGS or NGC to do the work. Now if its a four figure coin or something like that yes I would just go ahead and pay PCGS to do the work but an economy tier coin I would absolutely send it to ICG first and then decide when I get it back.

There's just a lot of variables that can change the response even though generally as a submitter PCGS makes the most sense with a few exceptions, but that doesn't necessarily mean a buyer has to stick to only them as long as they aren't paying PCGS prices for the other holders. Also to keep in mind that established dealers can sell other brands easier then a collector could and a large majority would be much less enthusiastic about another brand if you were selling the coin to them instead of buying it.

There's so many different areas and styles of collecting that the market data is all over for whatever area someone is looking for the answer for that they can look into and see the numbers themselves. There's exceptions to everything if a great coin ends up in another holder, but overall the PCGS preference trend has generally been evident for a while.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5600 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Basebal - thanks for this additional information - very interesting!

Hey, if you don't mind, I would appreciate your opinion in this thread...
http://goccf.com/t/326204#2782612

I just don't know what to say about value and don;t want to ruin a collector's item if it is one...

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05