Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncleaned lot of Roman ancients  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I decided I wanted to try something new and clean some ancients. After reading numerous threads on here how to clean and how long it could take but how addicting it could be so I bought a lot of 15 to me I see a few that look like busts through the grime. Just won them yesterday and will not have them in hand till I don't know they are coming from Serbia so do these look promising for a first try? Or did I mess up? Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
9297 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck, Zach. I've never tried to clean any yet, be interesting to see what pops out! Guess it's worth a shot, bit of learning curve. Keep updated!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it should be fun to see what comes from those I'll definitely keep updates on here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3392 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know they are coming from Serbia so do these look promising for a first try? Or did I mess up?

Over the past few decades, there have been more people looking for and finding Roman coin hoards in the Balkans. These rather look like culls from one or more of them. As long as you didn't pay too much, this'd seem to be perfectly good material with which to start out refining your technique, and perhaps establishing a baseline on minimum condition for future purchases.

Even though most appear to be pretty far gone, I for one am looking forward to seeing at least how how some of them turn out.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Around a dollar a piece didn't feel was to bad for a trial run

To get a technique
See if I enjoy it
And figure out quality
Edited by Mrzllewellyn
08/10/2018 3:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7873 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Around a dollar a piece didn't feel was to bad for a trial run

Nicely done--this should be a fun group to investigate! Undoubtedly mostly late Roman bronze I think. I'm looking forward to updates to this thread when they arrive and you start to make some progress.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan on taking pictures of the coins front and back when I receive them then front and back of them after initial wash before they start their soak. I think I want to put a little page together what they weighed when I received them then what they weighed after I get them where I want them to be see how much crud was on them. But I'm going to snap pictures a lot during the process to make time frames and all of the steps they went through for future times I want to do. So we will see how well I like this. I'll definitely be posting pictures as soon as I receive them pretty stoked to get started on this journey might find something a really enjoy. But only time will tell lol
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some links that I used for research.

http://www.kersh.com/coin_cleaning.php

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/...oin_p5.shtml
(links are on the right with different methods.

Also do some searches on forums and copy and paste the ideas and suggestions into a word document for reference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the links. I'm pretty excited already even though they may be low grade or culls this should be pretty fun
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enough talking: Get cleaning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol haven't received them says they shipped 4 am this morning with no tracking number so eBay says the date I should receive these is in a month I hope not. I know eBay just guesses sometimes so hope that's what they are doing
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This lot look better then the other?
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently bought a kilo of ones like that from the Balkans. Some end up with no image underneath -- just slugs. Some end up with some images, but not enough to identify. And some end up very nice, like this Licinius. I just have fun working on them, never knowing what I'll find. Then I go read the history of the emperor I've uncovered.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be upset if I end up with a few look close to that
Pillar of the Community
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do you get your coins?
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay from various sellers.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05