Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1918 Illinois Statehood - Revisited

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,421Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  11:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The "Lincoln" commemorative half dollar turns 100 this year. I thought I'd share a few words about the coin's beginnings.

On January 16, 1918, Loren Edgar Wheeler (R-IL) introduced in the House of Representatives HR 8764, a bill calling for a "50-cent piece in commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of the admission of the State of Illinois into the Union."

Read More: Commems Collection

Illinois became the 21st state on December 3, 1818. The area that became a state was carved out of what was then the Illinois Territory; it was the southern portion of the Illinois Territory. The Territory also included all of what is today Wisconsin, the northeastern region of present-day Minnesota and the western portion of the upper peninsula of Michigan. At the time, the new State had a population of approximately 35,000.

Wheeler's bill called for 200,000 half dollars of standard specifications with a design to be "fixed by the Director of the Mint." The bill was immediately referred to the House Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures for discussion.

The Committee held a Hearing on March 5, 1918 to discuss a bill calling for the standardization of metal screw threads, but Rep. Wheeler was called upon to make a statement ahead of that discussion on behalf of the Illinois Statehood coin. He began by reporting that Illinois' was already actively celebrating its centennial throughout every county in the State and then presented the Illinois Centennial Commission's desire to have a souvenir 50-cent piece struck to further its commemoration; he reported that they would like to have the special coins "along about June" so that they could begin distributing the coins to the public.

Before coming to the Hearing, Wheeler had discussed the coinage proposal with the Secretary of the Treasury William Gibbs McAdoo and Director of the Mint Raymond Thomas Baker. He informed the Committee that the Treasury Department had no objection to the bill but that it did express its concern over the potential of large numbers of the coins being returned to the Mint for melting (as had happened with some previous commemorative / souvenir coins). To address this, Rep. Wheeler stated that he would have no objection to reducing the number of coins specified in his bill to 100,000 and promised that as the coins would be handled by local banks and the State Treasurer's office none would be returned to the Mint.

Wheeler was asked by the Committee Chairman, William Ashbrook, if the coins were to be sold at a premium. He responded "No, sir." This is interesting, of course, as the coin was being sought to help the Centennial Commission defray the costs of staging Illinois' centennial celebrations and to do so they would need to charge more for the coin than what they were required to pay - the face value of fifty cents. Clearly, Wheeler was not yet wise in the ways of the commemorative coin!

The coinage bill was reported out favorably by the Committee on March 12 with just a few changes. The amended bill added a specification that the coins would be silver, that the maximum mintage would be 100,000 (vs. the original 200,000 request) and that Illinois would be required to pay "the expense of making the necessary dies and other preparation for this coinage."

The amended bill was briefly discussed in the House on April 6, 1918 and passed without challenge. The bill was sent to the Senate where it was subject to minor wording change before it was approved and sent back to the House on May 21. The House concurred with the wording change and passed the amended bill on May 25.

The bill was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson on June 1, 1918.

With nearly half of 1918 gone, the Mint had to work quickly to get the new coins designed, struck and distributed to the Illinois Centennial Commission before the end of the year.

George T. Morgan was responsible for the coin's obverse design, a right-facing portrait of Abraham Lincoln. The portrait is based on the "Lincoln of the Farwell Address" sculpture created by Andrew O'Connor. The design of the coin's reverse is based on the Seal of the State of Illinois; it features a strong, left-facing eagle. The reverse design was created by John R. Sinnock.

The Mint completed its work in time to deliver 100,000 coins to the Centennial Commission in September; the coins were distributed to the county-level commissions shortly thereafter. Each county was allotted coins to sell based on its population as per the 1910 census. The overall Centennial Commission set the selling price for the coins at $1.00 each. (I wonder if Mr. Wheeler took notice?) The county commissions were to use the profits generated by their coin sales for local celebrations.

Roughly 70,000 of the coins were sold by the various commissions during the centennial year. As promised, the Centennial Commission did not return the unsold balance to the Mint. The majority of the coins were stored in a Springfield bank until President Roosevelt's "Bank Holiday" in March 1933. Most of these coins were subsequently sold to dealers at a small advance over face value; a small number were also released into circulation.

Below is the Illinois Statehood Centennial half dollar I have in my collection. It is a brilliant piece with wonderful cartwheel luster and clean surfaces. Unfortunately, my scans do not do it justice.

Enjoy!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/17/2018 01:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic write-up and beautiful coin.
I like the fierce eagle.
In your 3rd paragraph, I beleive you meant to write 1818 not 1918.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BigSilver: Thanks for catching the typo - fixed!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely reporting commems. I always gain a lot of insights whenever I read your history lessons.

Who would have thought that the Illinois commemorative was first introduced into congress during a hearing on the standardization of metal screw threads?

Appreciate, as always, your kind sharing of that level of knowledge.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent write-up commems

The Illinois Centennial Commemorative half dollar is definitely one of my favorite classic commemoratives
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems it is always a pleasurable education experience when you do these posts. Great post - great write up and great coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, thank you for this wealth of information.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62783 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree for sure, always a good read!
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to see a new Commems Collection topic! First one in a while. Excellent commentary as always.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11367 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great to see a new Commems Collection topic! First one in a while.

I was beginning to wonder when we'd see another.

commems, I think there is still a little date confusion...

2nd paragraph should be 1918, unless, of course, Illinois became a state sixty years before the Revolutionary War.
3rd paragraph should be 1818. By 1918, the U.S. was entering into the first World War and the Union consisted of 48 states.

History books are subjective, so one can't ever be too sure...

Date snafus aside, you've provided an outstanding post as usual. I very much enjoy how you take us on the journey of how commemorative coins came (or didn't come, sometimes) to be, from concept to production and beyond.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CelticKnot: Yes, when I edited the post to make the original correction noted by Big Silver, I edited the date in the wrong paragraph by mistake.

Mods: As I can no longer edit the post, can one of you make the date changes as listed by CelticKnot? I would very much appreciate it! Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 120grain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome write up once again Commems.
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11367 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*bump*

Hello mods... will someone correct the dates in paragraphs 2 & 3 of the original post, please? I'm waiting to plagiarize, er, "archive for my research purposes" this article and I want to make sure it's correct.

(Kidding about plagiarizing, of course, but I do like to refer to commemms' posts from time to time).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CelticKnot: I believe the dates have been corrected at this point - they look correct to me at least! :)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11367 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, they look good. I must have needed to refresh.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 2,421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: