Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Older 10 dollar bill valuable?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  09:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Centhunterwillie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks, just curious here. Would this 10 be worth anything being what it is? And if so what makes this paper currency valuable? Or what makes any paper currency valuable?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably worth a little over face,but with paper currency each tear fold and stain detucts value. So maybe $12 to the right buyer in that condition.
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14675 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or what makes any paper currency valuable?

Faith in the government.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24663 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Date,signatures,run size, serial number,condition,branch,star note,web note,demand.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/28/2018 10:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5280 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Older bills are an uncommon sight in circulation, but there were collectors in the mid 90s plucking out nearly all of the valuable bills when they were still new. Those are worth more today, and there are enough that the few serious bill collectors can be picky.

Generally speaking, a "new" (post-1950s) bill has to either have a fancy serial number (e.g. 12345678 or 11111111) or be from a very low production run to have enough value to be worth selling.

I like the old style bills and I have one of each except for the $50 and $100. I don't expect them to appreciate - in fact, they will lose significantly due to inflation. Keep it if you like it, otherwise spend it and buy something you want!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
2248 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No value over face on this one. Spend it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it has a star in place of a letter,it is a replacement note - they are worth keeping.
A note with a serial number 100 or under is worth keeping.
Some people like "radar" notes - 123454321 - reads the same left to right, right to left.
Some people also like birthdates, 01241978 (Jan 24, 1978)

Newer bills generally need to be crisp, no folds, sharp corners and centered to carry premium...

Hope this helps...

to the site
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30170 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No premium here.

to the Paper Money Forum!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF. I would consider your note a spender for the various reasons posted above.

KK
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NoteCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spender, but I do like the style of those tens.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8800 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

Quote:

Quote:

Faith in the government.

While that's funny, it's also poignant.

Regarding your note, spend it. In that condition it is worth exactly $10. If someone is willing to pay you $12, it's not worth your time to get it to them.
Edited by CelticKnot
08/28/2018 11:35 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05