Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Flying Eagle (On Foreign Planchet?)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kyleg02247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys, I have a 1858 Flying eagle small date variety. On the Reverse you can make out a 5 and 8 or its two 8's on both sides of the wreath. The penny weighs 4.556 Grams (4.7 is normal.) and it's Diameter is 19.28 mm (19.0 is normal) Please see the attached photos, let me know your thoughts. The penny is a bit worn so I assume that is why it accounts for the weight loss, but unsure why it would be larger. My main focus is trying to figure out why there are two digits in the wreath on Reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7178 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything, looks normal to me.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing 8s or anything else odd.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8468 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kyleg02247, can you confirm that these two potential digits are just to the left of the C and just to the right of T in CENT? When I blow up one of those areas and enhance the pic, I am seeing a vague outline of something. I wonder if it isn't just a slightly unusual wear pattern rather than an actual struck inscription.

As far the coin being 0.28 mm to large in diameter, it could have been squeezed slightly at some point in its hard life.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28985 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, where exactly on the wreath do you see these digits?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13064 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I see is just heavy damage.
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kyleg02247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im sorry I just saw these responses. I will reply soon with better pictures of the entire coin measurements and weight. I am very curious about this coin there is something definitely strange going on with it, and you almost half to be holding it in your hand to digest it. From the pictures alone it does it zero justice.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kyleg02247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the inscriptions are directly to the left and the right of the C and the T in cent perfectly aligned. definitely do not believe it to be a weird type of wear, theres nothing on the wreath of a perfectly struck penny that would resemble these distinct markings which I believe to be two 8's

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14486 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a "dent" and some shadows, and your mind, trying to make sense out of random data, fits it into an "8".
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kyleg02247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How are they both lined up like that on both sides, I'm not buying a accidental dent.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Ace, this isn't the first one you've argued about is it?
Compare, it is the design of the coin, with a wear pattern!

You just don't get it, you are seeing Ghost images!

Quote:
Pareidolia (/pær#618;#712;do#650;li#601;/ parr-i-DOH-lee-#601;) is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus, usually an image or a sound, by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/09/2018 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6335 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is not an error.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it's the all seeing eye of the Illuminatti!

Edited by Crazyb0
09/09/2018 3:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8468 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not buying a accidental dent.

@kyle, that is fair push-back, but what coin would you think is the host? There are some 17th and 18th Century European coins that had two digit dates split like that, but that seems pretty far-fetched to me. Maybe you can propose a coin? Thx.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here are some 17th and 18th Century European coins that had two digit dates split like that, but that seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Quite true Dave, but most over-struck coins only show the original host details in the field levels of the new strike. Not deep within a newly struck coin (incuse) device, the pressure would have moved the coin material to fill out those details...

The quy's argument has gone down in flames....
Edited by Crazyb0
09/09/2018 8:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28985 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep at it you guys.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05