Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

19XX-S Standing Liberty Silver Quarter Cud Error - What do we think?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3044 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  01:27 am Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just purchased this 19XX-S Standing Liberty quarter with an obverse cud, I have never seen anything like it on a Standing Liberty quarter. I have already sent pictures of it to cuds-on-coins but what does CCF think of it? Has anyone else seen something like it before? Also, what would a good value be?

My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24775 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the reverse, opposite the cud would have a weak spot that I am not seeing.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3711 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the reverse, opposite the cud would have a weak spot that I am not seeing.

That was the first thing I looked for and I agree, it's not there.
So the cud has been faked and nicely blended in.
OR
The wear is sufficient (AG-03) to have "washed away" that clue.

At least I'm confident that the coin is a Recessed Date (1925-1930).
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3044 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  11:56 am  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies!

http://cuds-on-coins.com/cuds-on-st...r-1916-1930/ br /

Scroll down to the very bottom of that page.

My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 3 1/2 years. I love all US coinage. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad
Visit my website:
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24775 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the exact same coin
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3939 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would think that a prominate CUD such as this would have an auction history of other examples that would have surfaced in the last 90 years or so.

I haven't found one in the auction histories I've searched.

I'm thinking we are looking at a combination of PMD and wear.

Hope I'm wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8576 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You would think that a prominate CUD such as this would have an auction history of other examples that would have surfaced in the last 90 years or so

I couldn't have agreed with you more West until this discovery http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...92-CC_VAM-2A
It's still the only one known today as far as I know.

As for the OP coin, it is a cool example and I hope it's a legit cud as well.
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
09/21/2018 5:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30414 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 - It's definitely the same coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6482 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what appears to be a large and significant cud (well worn) on the obverse at 6:00 - with absolutely no corresponding evidence on the reverse at 12:00.

Honestly saying that I am skeptical this is a genuine cud ... I strongly suspect based on the photographs provided that the obverse 'blob' is post mint damage.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7459 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post edge pics of the area near the cud?
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3044 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, I will later today. If I remember correctly, it looks totally normal.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, JC Stevens listed the coin today for me on his website (bottom of the page I posted a link to above).
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3044 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, here is a pic of the edge right where the cud is.
Visit my website:
Pillar of the Community
United States
3939 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We can 'cuss this coin on this forum till the cows come home or the OP can package it up and send it off.

My suggestion is to just send it off for TPG error authentication.

Good luck! I hope it's the real deal!
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing I can really say is that its probably a 1927S and you would never know.
Lincoln cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Jefferson nickels - Done / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 4 Holes / Washington quarters - 19 holes /
Kennedy halves - 10 Holes / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes
Other works in progress - Barber/SLQ combined / Indian Head cents / 7070

Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a real cud. It is a 1930-S retained cud. Here is one that is not quite as worn. Information can be found in Robert H. Knauss book Standing Liberty quarter Varieties and Errors.

Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an added note. I have about a dozen of these all the way up to the finest known. A PCGS MS-63. I think there a couple on eBay right now. Nice find
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05