Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Morgan - Please Advise

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
Please take a look at this 1894 Morgan and let me know real or fake. She is not a pretty coin.
Thanks,

Pillar of the Community
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has the "look" of a well-worn "O" Mint Morgan. The P and S mint coins from that year usually have sharper devices.

I also think I can see tooling marks around where a mintmark would have been on the reverse.

I suspect your coin is real, but has been altered by removing the mintmark.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give it the ring test. That will weed out the pot metal fakes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your Morgan has the correct date position for the (only) business strike obverse die. There are a few die polishing lines in RTY of LIBERTY that should still be there and visible if not too filled with circulation crud. See the attached link. http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...1894-P_VAM-3
Member SSDC, TNA
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
I cant see into the RTY, and cant tell if any of the other matches are valid - e.g. the lines next to Morgans initial.
Are there any other checks I can do.
Weight is 26.0g which I think on target for a worn Morgan.
Thanks in advance
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the link that Dave700 sent you. There are 3 die scratches in the dirt filled area of the eagles left (Viewers Right) foot. You will need to soak the coin in Acetone and clean the dirt out with compressed air and tooth pick. If thoese 3 die scratches are not there, the coin has had a mint mark removed.
Edited by Slider23
09/23/2018 11:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,

But if this is *possibly* real then I dont trust myself to do any work of any kind on the coin so would probably want to take it to an expert.
I've looked in detail around the mintmark and I dont think I can see any sign of mint mark removal...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send the coin in for grading and authenticity. The value of the coin is well worth the cost.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42735 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you read Dave's link yet and compared?
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. I have looked at the link (and a belated thanks for the info to Dave). I have tried to identify the markers but with just a limited loop it’s been difficult. Also not helped by the coin being worn.
I’m keen to identify and find Morgans interestingbut don’t feel confident enough to work on this coin.. in case it is genuine.
Hope this all makes sense
Pillar of the Community
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always send it off to ANACS for 3rd party grading and authentication. At least you’ll know for sure if it’s the real deal. Besides to be marketable in this day and age most buyers will want it authenticated anyway.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05