Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 American Liberty Design

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like them both. I will be a buyer on day 1. I'm sure this will be available for quite awhile with the current price of gold it's probably going to be beyond the price limit of many folks.
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still wish the silver medal was only an ounce and no more than three fifths the price.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scott7721 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two sets of initials on the obverse, two sets on the reverse. Design by committee. Pass.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12254 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two sets of initials on the obverse, two sets on the reverse. Design by committee. Pass.

Just think of it as a bonus where you can use it to teach your kids the alphabet with all the random letters on it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4018 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

This statement is inaccurate. There was one designer for each side of the coin/medal. The second set of initials on each is for the sculptor.

Obverse: Designer - Richard Masters (RM) / Sculptor - Joseph F. Menna (JFM)

Reverse: Designer - Donna Weaver (DW) / Sculptor - Michael Gaudioso (MG)

This is not a new approach for the US Mint or other mints around the world.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of whose initials they are, two sets of initials per side looks bad and takes away from what's depicted.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4018 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Regardless of whose initials they are, two sets of initials per side looks bad and takes away from what's depicted.

I think it's important to give credit to the artists involved in creating the design.

I don't see the small initials as much of a distraction from the overall design.

Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This statement is inaccurate...
Thank you for the clarification.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eeeeh, put this design in the category of the SBA dollar. The 1 coin limit per household is probably the best thing this has going for it. I don't plan to get one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's just something wrong with the hair. Otherwise it's not a bad design IMO. I won't be a buyer on the gold; we'll see about the silver.
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold is a non-starter, but (again) what makes me hesitant on the silver is the size and by extension the price.

I actually like the design. I like the SBA, too. I am an odd duck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
917 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is there a Denomination & E Pluribus Unum on the Gold, and Zilch on the Silver, except for United States Of America, on the Reverse, and Liberty, on the Obverse?

Just doesn't look right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
750 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the gold is an actual coin evidently
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. Gold is a coin. Silver is not. The law allows the Mint to issue just about any gold coin design they want. However, the law only allows them to issue specific coin designs and denominations in silver. They are not able to mint this as a coin (whether it is a dollar or any other denomination) unless Congress approves it first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1811 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easy order—not a great design as it's quite a multi racial liberty which I agree with, but the rays of liberty emanating from the crown of her head makes it look like she's missing the back end of her cranium. However, the eagle is spectacular. For a medal, the 2-inch width is entirely apropos. The 5oz proof flying saucer was way too large, IMO, and should've been 2.5 oz/2" as well.

Edit—sitting on Breed's Hill where the Bunker Hill Monument is located. Envisioning the landing British troops on the Mystic River from the north and sacking and burning of Charles Town to the south. Man, those guys sure went through heck and the ultimate sacrifice to defend this tiny patch of earth for the freedom of thought and the freedom of inquiry. 294 steps up to the top of the granite obelisk. For an old guy like me, it was quite the workout equivalent to 23 flights of stairs.
Edited by Bizybackson
08/15/2019 12:29 pm
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05