Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885 P DMPL Morgan for grading and opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  1:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
5700 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks 61 and may be pl or dmpl but hard to tell from pics. better than the others you have shown for sure.
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numismatic_student, I've tried to do the appropriate tests, and I'm fairly sure it's a DMPL rather than a PL. But thank you, I've been trying to improve with you're guys' help
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24074 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not look like a DMPL to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-61PL
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28940 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
61PL here as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13686 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like circulation marks to me. AU-58 with PL surfaces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 - The coin shows circulation. The obverse from your photos look like the mirror surface may have been cleaned, On coins with mirrors surfaces take the photo directly above the coin. Your photo is at an angle on the obverse. At PCGS, the coin would not get the PL or DMPL tag as the fields on the obverse have too much rub to display the necessary mirrors. The reverse is better than the obverse.
Edited by Slider23
09/30/2018 10:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6466 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when requesting PL qualities use newsprint so that depth can be determined
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo of a 78CC NGC AU Details improperly cleaned that had PL surfaces when minted. Your photo of the obverse reminded me of my coin that I had sold.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cboyera to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also for reference, here is a straight graded AU 55 with PL surfaces.

Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse is the same
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05