Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 S Wheat Penny: could this be a zinc-coated steel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  4:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add victoriarose28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! I am a new member and I hope you can provide me further information about this coin, it would be greatly appreciated.

I just came across to this 1944 s penny in my pile of wheat pennies. Obviously, really worn out for being unkept, neglected for almost 75 years and when I weighed it, this one passed the initial diagnostic as it weighs 2.75g.

I cannot confirm with the second diagnostic yet, I am not so sure as when I tried using the ref magnet I only have available (I put it on top of the coin), it won't hold it but maybe because I wasn't doing it right or this penny is just too corroded and rotten? Under magnification, I could see grayish color underneath but this coin is just really well beat up.

I have done some research and compared some notes with the altered version and searched for the worst type of unpleasant looking and corroded 1943 zinc-coated steel and 1944 copper pennies photos just to have better references.

I have also learned that steel cents can quickly started to rust and deteriorated. I am also aware a well circulated, damaged and corroded coin could decrease its weight but it should still be within the coin weight tolerance depending on its mass/density composition.

I really hope to hear from the experts to share their thorough knowledge from my inquiry. Thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5158 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28887 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be just a normal 1944 cent, apparently with environmental damage.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
61503 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1338 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community! I agree with Coinfrog.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8925 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with jim0815 who agrees with Coinfrog .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12967 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! Just a heavily damaged Wheat cent. It shows Post Strike Damage ( PSD), meaning that it happened after it left the U.S. Mint.
Errers and Varietys.

More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950

Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add victoriarose28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all of your input and welcoming me. It's been circulating for almost 75 years, environmental damaged? Most definitely! With all due respect and am grateful for giving me your opinions but hopefully you can help me more if I may ask...what made it easily for you to figure out or say it is just environmental damaged that made it weigh 2.75g? Is it because I said I cannot confirm with the second diagnostic yet? Am also wondering and curious now with all of the damaged and corroded wheat coins I came across with, much worst than this but weight is still within the allotted weight tolerance, am confused now and hope you can elaborate more so I will have a better understanding about it. Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28887 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has simply lost weight due to wear and erosion of the surfaces, possibly due to environmental damage (being buried?) or even acid treatment. I don't think there's much more to be said.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked with a magnet? Steel will attract.

Having said that, I agree with the other comments - appears to have suffered some time in harsh conditions.

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add victoriarose28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay got it Nevertheless, I'll keep it until I can get a good magnet to test it with. Thank you#128515;
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05