Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anything to worry about with this Large Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1796NoPole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering what you all think about this 1852 large cent. It looks to me on its face to be a nice AU+, but it could easily make star at NGC. This coin is on fire. It's got a lot of luster on it, great toning, is absolutely blazing red in the crevices, and what looks like a terrific strike as well; I could shave with those rims. And I'm suspicious of it precisely because it just seems too nice. Neither the toning nor the red gives off an especially artificial feeling to me, but I've never seen a cent look like this before; I have seen a Bust half with a similar "glowing" look, but never on copper. If it's all good there, should I be concerned about a cleaning/dipping and retoning? How would you price this example? Is it worth sending in? Thanks

Edited by 1796NoPole
10/12/2018 12:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5203 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7190 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  01:17 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse has a gouge / damage (look at the bottom left wreath bow), and that toning is NOT natural. It's been recolored or is retoning over a cleaning.

A later die state on a crummy planchet, with lots of flow lines and crumbling rims.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned and damaged to me. I'd pass on that one...
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
agree with others assessments about this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3607 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others.
I took one look and said, "That's not right!"
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28940 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, definitely cleaned.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7178 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem coin, been worked over.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6705 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When buying raw large cents, stick with chocolate brown examples.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1796NoPole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, I knew it looked a little too good to be true.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4345 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

When I looked at the photos I noticed the coin has a pinkish color in places which generally indicates cleaning of some sort.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
1320 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned and being retoned to an artificial appearance.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17030 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of the cleaning, still in great shape.
just carl
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2018  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was young we'd drop Lincolns into a glass of vinegar and get the same result. Why I can not remember. Kids being kids I suppose.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05