Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Hunted Out Park Still Had One Goodie

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  3:10 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My wife went to the town in SW Wisconsin where her younger sister lives for a get-together with her and her older sister.

I drove down on Friday to pick her up and, while the ladies all went out for pedicures, I hit a local one square block park where the town's old water tower stands. I figured it had been heavily detected in the past, and found that to be true.

All I found were modern coins at two to three inches.

Then, while hunting the grass strip along one of the streets, I got a cent signal at two inches. I dug it up, fully expecting another Memorial or zinc cent, and was quite surprised to discover it was an 1879 Indian Head cent!

Somehow this beat up little beauty had gone undetected. From the wear I figure it must have been dropped after 1900, so it probably was lying there for at least a century.

It isn't much to look at, but it is my second oldest Indian Head cent and only the ninth one I've found in six years of detecting.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find...fun story!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9120 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that certainly is an oldie . Congrats on your find .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
5589 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find and congratulations!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6452 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's beat up on the obverse ... and horribly corroded -

Exactly as one would suspect from a ground find ...

Congratulations indeed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date appears to be 1879
Have you gotten your half dollar fix today?

$40 CRH - 2x 35% 5c, 1x 40% 50c
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1853 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it spent most of it's life , in a pvc holder, and then tossed into the ground. nice find either way..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not quite as horrible as the first photos show.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Canada
802 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2018  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sarkany to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice scoff on the oldy. Too bad the soil was not kinder to that coin....or any coppers found! Good luck on the next outing sir!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05