Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Oversized 1982-D Lincoln Cent a Pattern? a Counterfeit? Or What?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  4:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tolch123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. Previously posted in US Classic and Colonial Variety and Error Coins. ***

I've had this extremely bizarre coin for years, and I'm determined to find out what the heck it is!

- As indicated by the picture, it is definitely larger than a standard cent.
- It is some sort of metal. (Confirmed by the sound)
- Its weight is 2.53 grams.
- It is not magnetic.

I'm extremely curious about this one!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1470 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a "Texas Cent." It's an altered coin, not an error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5229 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Texas cent
The copper plating has fallen off from stretching the coin
and just left the zinc core. It should be thinner than a regular cent.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6884 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Made by putting a normal cent between 2 pieces of thick leather or rubber an then smacked with a hammer until it stretches the coin out. Most times they are slightly out of round.
"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I have to buy something."

Working on a Dansco 8166 Kennedy half album. 131pcs ,of 160 total, so far
Edited by Mark1959
11/07/2018 5:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29555 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6452 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - it's a man-made modification of the coin that happened outside the mint.

Nice curiosity piece - alas no real value.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6857 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So called "Texas cent", post minting damage ( PMD) not a mint error.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Large Cent
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a large cent

Oh brother...
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Learn More...
United States
13956 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a large cent
Well, maybe a Medium Cent.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05