Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone here have an entire or close to entire wheat set with all BU Reds?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone here have an entire or close to entire wheat set with all BU Reds? I've been looking as of recent to see how feasible it would be to put together an almost entire uncirculated wheat set with all red, non brown wheat cents. Some years are fairly cheap... but I haven't priced them all out.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9340 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you talking about a date and mint set only , or a set including doubled dies, errors and varieties ?
either way ; Big bucks !
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Date and mint, maybe minus the keys. The 1940s through 1950s are cheap enough from what I can see, so that really lowers the costs. 1930s aren't too bad either. Its 1909-early 1930s to be able to get cheap enough
Pillar of the Community
United States
1444 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can be done but I can't imagine doing it for less than 50k. I don't know, that's just off the top of my head. Seems the minimum score for a red cent is an MS-63 and beside cost there is the problem of just locating coins at a fair price. There's no comparison between a '30s issue and one in the teens (that hasn't been cleaned or messed with). If you do it, I wish you the best of luck!

I've bought early red Lincolns that I've put in air-tites soon after purchase that have turned RB. They're still nice looking, well struck coins but it can be frustrating. After I completed my set, I've started upgrading and have only bought graded coins. Some are just plain hard to find in fresh red condition.
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. I haven't done it. Could never afford it. The 1914-D alone will set you back at least $4,250 in ms63rd condition, per PCGS. 1922 no D and 1955 double die will also be sticker shockers. I have been thinking about ordering some "famous" 20th Century keys to go along with my type set coins, and when I get to the mint state 1914-D Lincoln I just shrug and conclude the '14-D is not in my future.
I hope it's in yours. A complete set of Mint state red Wheat cents would be an accomplishment to be proud of. I hope you post the pictures.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3061 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried to do a Red-Brown uncirculated set. I am pretty close overall; there's a few coins more on the brown side and some AU sliders mixed in. I've also not done the 14-D (yet) and don't include coins such as 22-no D or 55 Double Die as those are not date / mint varieties in my opinion. You can see from my pictures where I landed. The early D and especially S mints are expensive and not easy to find. If you wanted to do a true RED set, I think you are looking at 64 Red minimum and are likely pushing $100k to fully complete.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9340 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you wanted to do a true RED set, I think you are looking at 64 Red minimum and are likely pushing $100k to fully complete.

Then after spending all that money you have to hope they don't get spotted .
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7446 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't imagine investing 100k in coins that might be worth 50k 10 years from now depending on the whims of Mother Nature and air pollution.

A glossy brown or RB set would be much more appealing to me as environmental degradation is much less of an issue and the coins are still stunningly beautiful in high-end BN/RB grades, especially high end BN's with woodgrain!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Learn More...
United States
13516 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  01:15 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On CCF, all Lincoln Cents are considered Modern, so I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.

Please review the forum section descriptions, so posts are made in the correct section.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17184 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 10 complete sets of Lincoln Cents. All in progressively higher grades. Set #1 is close to all red, original looking which does include the 09S, 09S VDB, 14D, 55 Doubled, 72 Doubled, 95 Doubled, all the 60's, 70's, 82's, 2009's, etc. However, the 22 plain is close but not red. All sets are in Whitman Classic Albums. Extra pages added as needed. Soon no more room in those binders. I add all new ones each year including the proofs.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9340 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl , Very impressive
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
United States
63393 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A glossy brown or RB set would be much more appealing to me as environmental degradation is much less of an issue and the coins are still stunningly beautiful in high-end BN/RB grades, especially high end BN's with woodgrain!
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3061 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have 10 complete sets of Lincoln Cents. All in progressively higher grades. Set #1 is close to all red, original looking which does include the 09S, 09S VDB, 14D, 55 Doubled, 72 Doubled, 95 Doubled, all the 60's, 70's, 82's, 2009's, etc. However, the 22 plain is close but not red. All sets are in Whitman Classic Albums. Extra pages added as needed. Soon no more room in those binders. I add all new ones each year including the proofs.

When I see photos of just carl's Lincoln's, I weep with joy at such a beautiful collection. I secretly suspect that he is 130 years old and collected all of these straight from the mint starting in 1909.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17184 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just a few photos from set #1. Note that the 22 plain is not full red though. Rest of set is all red.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3061 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
63393 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05