Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Christmas Comes Early This Year (Series 1923 $10 "Poker Chip" Note)!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4696 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  4:52 pm Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I managed to miss out on a couple of different specials from the Mint this year due to inattention, and so with a little money to burn and an itch to spend it, I thought I would see about whether I could find an affordable example of any of the remaining notes on my currency "bucket" list. It's a short list, but it includes the Series 1905 $20 Gold Certificate ("Technicolor") Note, the Series 1886 $5 Silver Certificate (" Morgan dollar") Bill and the Series 1923 $10 "Poker Chip" Note. These are all notes that are way too expensive for me to ever consider buying in really nice grades, so I've been on the lookout for lesser examples that I can still live with.

Well, I decided to check online at APMEX and discovered that they had a number of examples for sale, including one that looked barely passable for around $1400. It looked like this:

I showed it to my wife to make sure she was OK with the purchase, halfway expecting her to tell me to just forget it. To my surprise, however, she not only approved the purchase, but said that if I was going to get one I should pay more money and actually get a nicer example. As a result, I went ahead and spent over $3000 for the most expensive note I have in my collection (by far). It's professionally slabbed and graded by PMG as 30 (Very Fine) and looks amazing in hand:

My wife -- I think I'll keep her...

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Edited by barryg
11/29/2018 09:32 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37733 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic and congrats all round. A one-issue type note with a fascinating history. Did it rate EPQ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2112 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice Fr.123, congratulations on your new addition. Much more eye appeal on the note you chose, good move.

Very few VF notes in this series survived with original paper. The last large-size $10 United States Note, featuring President Andrew Jackson, was a real workhorse in its day. The back design is where it gets its nickname Poker Chip.
Edited by SteveInTampa
11/28/2018 5:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4696 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did it rate EPQ?

I don't think so, no.

I should note, btw, that this is the first note that I have ever purchased professionally graded. Fortunately, even slabbed the way it is, it still barely fits into my currency album...

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Edited by barryg
11/28/2018 5:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4696 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very few VF notes in this series survived with original paper. The last large-size $10 United States Note, featuring President Andrew Jackson, was a real workhorse in its day. The back design is where it gets its nickname Poker Chip.

Yep, two poker chips on the back!

My research indicates that only 696,000 were printed in total and only approximately 500 are still known to exist in various conditions.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37733 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The story behind this note is most interesting. To maintain an outdated legal requirement that a fixed sum of Legal Tender notes (Red Seal US Notes) had to be in circulation at all times, the BEP delivered the entire 696K print run to the Treasury for distribution during the two-week window of February 6-20, 1926. None were released earlier, and none after.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4696 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is interesting!

Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Congrats on a great note!
- Dave L
IBNS #9984
http://www.banknoteden.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9786 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous note! And your wife is definitely a keeper.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6654 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulation on the purchase of another 'bucket list' note. I am not knowledgable on paper currency, but can appreciate the beauty of your new note.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5896 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very impressive bill, congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice add. A wonderful note with a great history to add to your collection
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the class!! Great note.

P.S. Be sure to hug the wife at least twice a day now.
Learn More...
United States
73211 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05