Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So my metal detector CAN detect nickel...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  12:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
...okay maybe not.
I had all my ducks in a row to finally begin hunting my yard in my very old neighborhood last night, starting at midnight. About 2 AM, after nothing but nails and modern coins (even shield Lincolns for crying out loud!), I got a target I had to dig several inches for. In my dying headlamp beam I can see a.......NICKEL! Woo! Finally, the first nickel I've ever hunted. But....wait a minute....why is it so pale?....what's this....BIG P OVER MONTICELLO! --I'm barely in the hobby so yes this is the firs war nickel I've ever seen in person. So thrilling to have found it like a wild beast in my own yard.
I won't lie, I gave it a wee smooch, dirt and all.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Kawliga
12/03/2018 12:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24717 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very nice find and your first to boot
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I know it's not in great shape but jeez compared to most the coins I've been finding.......Mobile gets more rain than any other city in the US (yes more than Seattle; google if you doubt), and in this older part of town it tends to sit a spell...in the soil. It's so frustrating because with the insane amount of history here, you know the whole place is hundreds-years-old World's Fair of coin hunting, never mind Civil War artifacts. But it's like the water comes to wash it all from memory, the glory and the horror.
Here are other finds from last night. Nope the date on that wheatie is no longer with us. That Lincoln in the center is 2015!

Edited by Kawliga
12/03/2018 1:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool finds.
The War Nickel especially.
Hey Cashier, What's in your draw? have anything odd ? New or Old?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24717 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know what the upper right one is?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver is always a good find
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John, absolutely no clue. Large cent? I mean I haven't seen one of THOSE in person either, just know they're big pennies and this is big and appears to be copper. Wait, they're not this big are they? Could be all that's left of a clad Kennedy half, yeah?
There was no trace of any devices visible when I dug it up, so I did give it a short soak and gentle brushing in distilled water just to remove mud, but still nothing, just flaking away. I can't even be sure it's copper because I have an El Cheapo detector.
Edited by Kawliga
12/03/2018 3:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh one thing I should add --my house was owned by a Cuban couple from 1967-2013 when they both had passed. Even though I just rent the place, the landlord left a ton of their personal stuff in the garage, including all the immigration paperwork for themselves and her parents (they also lived here in their final years). There were several large brown paper bags full of their banking records, and many other bags full of travel brochures, itineraries, maps, etc. They lived kind of large I guess. Oh and then there's all the stuff in the husband's broken English--notes for their lawyer regarding the alcoholic redneck next door who apparently harrassed and assaulted them a lot. There's a 1972 Polaroid of him urinating on their garage. So long story short, I've barely touched the yard so far. I could maybe find Cuban coins or other nations since they traveled so much, but I won't be surprised if I don't find a lot because they were such meticulous people. On the other hand, I could see a scared immigrant couple who keep their most important paperwork in the garage (?) maybe being afraid of fire....and/or their neighbor....and/or who knows what after living under Castro...........so I always have this sense I'm going to find a ziploc full of notes or a coffee can full of silver.
Learn More...
United States
63508 Posts
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like fun Kawliga. And don't complain too much about the rain, as it improves your ability to detect. It makes for a muddy mess, but you'll find more in wet soil. I think you should be able to get a date off the wheatie. Also, what is the coin nearest your thumb? It looks about the size of a half penny to me.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a Roosevelt dime. Probably like a year old, ha. You're right about the moist soil conducting electric signals well, it's just discouraging to find most coins welll on their way to becoming part OF the soil. But this war nickel was the deepest target I've had yet and it looks like the moisture didn't harm it much at all. So what that tells me maybe Mobile soil isn't so hostile to silver (or gold probably), so.....yeah I'll keep digging. I can't believe I haven't found a silver dime or quarter yet, but I will.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, what is the coin nearest your thumb?

Quote:
That's a Roosevelt dime.

No, I meant your other thumb. Is that the war nickel? Usually, silver comes out of the ground as though it was dropped yesterday. It can come out black in saltwater, but otherwise it usually comes out clean.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17188 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of what any of them are worth, you didn't pay anything for them. Just be careful, no land mines.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kawliga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jadey, HA! Well I feel stupid now. --I don't know what that oval thing is. It's pretty uniform in thickness so maybe a pressed coin? The white speck you see is PAINT. The war nickel is the two photos in my original post, obverse and reverse. Stained by the soil but probably already worn from circulation before dropping.
Just carl I don't know man, it may not cost any money to metal detect (and yes it's way fun), but it costs in body aches. I'll be 45 in a few days but several parts of me feel 85, still sore after that all-nighter. I kept telling myself to take a stretch break and I kept answering, 'Okay right after THIS target......."
Edited by Kawliga
12/05/2018 10:19 am
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize that it was oval, I just thought it was tilted in your hand. It looks like it has some detail, but if its oval, then unlikely a coin. I might have guessed a V nickel or a half penny, but I can't really tell the size.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05