Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I received a gold-plated 1945 Walking Liberty in the mail today. I have a

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Baastacoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A couple of questions:
- Is this a legitimate coin?
- Why is it gold-plated? Is that a common occurrence?
- Does it diminish the value?

Any help the coin experts could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not common and actually lowers the value to collectors as the coin is altered. Can you post photos? Might just be toning as some get a gold tone to them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, pics would help, and please tell us where you purchased it.

to the CCF!
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baastacoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have it with me and won't have access to it until tonight. But the coin came in a roll of half's that I purchased online from an individual which promised a pack of silver to include 5 Barber halves, 5 Walking Liberty halves, 5 Franklin halves, and 5 1964 Kennedy halves.

I had never seen one that was gold-plated, so I looked online and it appears there are some dealers that will gold plate the coins, I'm certain that it is not toning, it was an intentional gold-plating. The coin is damaged at the top as well, I'm going to contact the dealer about working something out.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11892 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gold plated Walking Liberty half dollar will trade for silver .. or even a little less.

After market sellers will gold plate coins to sell for a premium to beginner coin
collectors. They become more of a novelty, instead of a collector coin.
GoldRush58 - GR58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a gimmick that Littleton has used for years and years.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
13518 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On CCF, a Walking Liberty half dollar is considered Classic, so I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17188 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a just altered coin so now has lost any original value.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14679 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- Is this a legitimate coin?
Yes, the coin is real, but it has been altered after it left the mint.

- Why is it gold-plated? Is that a common occurrence?
Some private company or individual did it to try and create something they could sell to an unknowledgeable collectorfor more than it is worth. Unfortunately it is all too commonly done.

- Does it diminish the value?
To any knowledgeable collector, Yes. It is now just worth whatever the melt value of the silver is. Before it was plated it might have had additional numismatic value depending and the date, mintmark, and condition.
Gary Schmidt
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baastacoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your advice and information on the matter. Your advice and information has been invaluable.

I contacted the seller who quickly rectified the situation and promised a new Walking Liberty would be sent. His explanation was that one of his workers must have saw it and thought it was cool, so he included it in my grouping.

Best to you all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05