Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Boyhood Collection - Picture Heavy

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
213 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started collecting coins in high school, and continued a little in college. So, I actively collected from about 1978-1986. Once I bought my first house in 1990, I retrieved them from my parents attic and put them away, only to be looked at once every 5 years or so. In 2009, I started collecting/hoarding again when I was having some back issues, but for sentimental reasons, I did not mix the two collections.

So, I just went to the basement and brought up 2 boxes that house my boyhood collection. I have to say that it really made me emotional to see them and relive some of those experiences. I decided to take pictures and thought I would share a couple of them.

The currency to the left as well as the loose coins were from my grandparents. Almost everything else was acquired through purchases at the coin shop, or roll hunting. One exception is that my older neighbor used to have me mow his lawn when he was on vacation and he would give me 2 Walker halves for each mowing. I have a special attachment to those coins for that reason.

A friend and I used to buy rolls of no date buffalos and used a chemical to raise the date.

Rosies would have been found by roll hunting and exchanging them from the cash register at the Drug fair where I worked. I would make my paper route collections, head to the bank on Friday and buy rolls of coins, spend the weekend roll hunting, and then return them on Monday.

Silver washingtons and kennedy's could still be found as well. Of course, wheaties were very plentiful. War nickels were a rarity for me.

Definitely the nicest coins I bought. I remember ogling that Bust half for months before I finally bought it. That was a huge purchase.
Once, while I was endlessly spinning through the coin displays, the owner called me back and gave me the 1798 large cent. Its barely recognizable, but I couldn't believe he just gave it to me. Its also cool to see the prices I paid. I inadvertently cropped the price of the Shield nickel and Barber, but they were $13 and $1.20 respectively.

A sample of some of my spreadsheets from back in the day.

Thanks for reading.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30209 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great stuff, brings back a lot of memories. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14811 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection! Aren't you glad you didn't get rid of it like so many do over the years. Judging by those prices you paid you are now a happy camper!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9347 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection of coins, keep it going .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
1530 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I just noticed a huge spike in prices from June 1979 to August 1980 in my first "spreadsheet".

How can you explain that?

I must've thought I was going to get rich collecting coins at the time.
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was packing it all back up, and this gave me a chuckle. This is how I cleverly disguised my collection.

Who would ever think it was anything but a photo album?
Pillar of the Community
United States
612 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the nostalgic post, Jadey. This brings back memories of the similar photos I took and records I kept in my first few years of coin collecting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jadey that is a great story. Definitely brings back some memories of my own.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14811 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late '79 early '80 was the height of the precious metals run. People that never had an interest in coins started buying at that time.
Learn More...
United States
63411 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic post! I am always impressed by those with high sentimental value.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2754 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what an awesome story! Great memories to be sure!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you all enjoyed the story, and thank you for responding. Even though it is my personal story, I suspected it might resonate with others who shared like experiences.

It was definitely a nostalgic day.
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Late '79 early '80 was the height of the precious metals run. People that never had an interest in coins started buying at that time.

I can recall knowing that silver prices were rising at the time. However, at 15-16, I don't think I ever appreciated that my coins were appreciating for precious metal reasons rather than numismatic ones. I was just engrossed in the process and figured they would make me rich someday.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8804 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great stroll down memory lane. Thanks for sharing that with us!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05