Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,278Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
130 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add econrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please find attached the two pieces I need help with. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please give some indication of size, and what type of metal they appear to be?
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the CCF Free Image Optimizer to help crop your images.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will probably get embarrassed by the real experts here, but the first one looks like Ferdinand de Medici, grand duke of Tuscany around 1600. It does not look like a coin to me, maybe a token?
Here is his image on a silver coin from 1601:

The second looks like a Spanish small denomination (2 or 4 maravedis) 16th century. SO many details are worn off, it may be hard to tell. Maybe close to this?
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces40685.html
Edited by tdziemia
12/08/2018 10:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add econrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming that both pieces are copper. After doing some more research I believe the second one may be a cob by King Phillip IV from the 1600's. Still have no idea what the first one may be. I will follow up with approximate size later today.
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add econrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia, Just noticed the bottom of your post about the Spanish piece. Also, It does look like Ferdinand de Medici. I wish that I had 1600's World Coin book.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having dug a little more, the top one might be the image of Phillip IV of Spain, which might make it contemporary with the second coin, which fits together better.

You can see his image on a coin of Spanish Netherlands here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17701.html

I think it is likely a token, as the reverse shows a sword and laurel (or olive) wreath, suggesting a political theme. Normally the reverse of a coin would have designs like a coat of arms, denomination, etc.
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add econrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I found it! Thanks for the help tdziemia.
https://www.ma-shops.com/cdma/item....3527&lang=en

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry did not see this thread before - you did a good job

some minor correction&additions
this jeton is from 1639, so 20 yrs older than what is mentioned by the seller

1639 Dugniolle 3939 Antwerp "Longing for Peace"

OBV portrait of king Philip IV of SPain
PHIL IIII D G HISP ET INDIAR REX

REV one hand holding an olive branch, another holding a sword
1639 IN MANV BELLI FINIS (the end of war is in our hand)

here is another example, where you can clearly see the date:

it took 9 more years before the final peace treaty ending the 80-years war was signed in Muenster
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05