Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Classic Commemoratives 50 Piece Type Set - Second Portion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  11:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I presented the first seven halves of my Classic Commemoratives 50 Piece Type Set in my previous post (see http://goccf.com/t/329826) in September.

Now I have seven coins more (total 14) and would like to share their photos. Any comments are welcome.

Still expect a long journey to complete the set.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5898 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions, good luck on your journey.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  09:39 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice images and coins. A worthy venture. Looks like you have excellent taste in eye appeal. Good luck!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37913 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice lot. That Vermont sure looks better than 62!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2018  07:14 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start. I've recently been giving some thought to collecting these halves.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9799 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great

I'm with frog, that Vermont doesn't scream 62 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6659 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done .... seven more visually well matched additions, appear as well to fit in well with your original seven examples.

You've chosen an opportune time to pursue this type set as prices are currently lower from a historical perspective - although a few of the coins will still feel expensive in the mid-MS grade that you have collected so far.

Best of wishes for 36 more!

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your kind comments. I will definitely continue this set and hope to share with you next additions soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2018  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great looking examples!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for all people with a small budget, buying coins for me is a compromise between grades, eye appeals, and costs. Grades and eye appeals of my 14 commems are presented on the photos. Thank you for your kind comments on them.

It is also interesting for me to understand whether I am good in buying (pay too much or not). Not going to discuss every dollar for every coin, just to give you a big picture:

The buying range for 14 commems (including all fees and shipping) was from $27 (Booker) to $200 (Vermont).

$27 - $100: Booker (1946-S, MS64), Carver/Washington (1954, MS65), Columbian (1893, MS64), Pilgrim (1920, MS64), Long Island (1936, MS64), Iowa (1946, MS66), Stone Mountain (1925, MS64).

$101 - $150: Robinson-Arkansas (1936, MS64), Maine (1920, MS64), Oregon (1936, MS62), Huguenot (1924, MS64), Texas (1935, MS65), Elgin (1936, MS65).

$151 - $200: Vermont (1927, MS62).

What do you think? Any general comments or comments on any specific coin would be appreciated. Thank you.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No replies to my last question . Probably, I have formulated it not clear enough. I just wondered whether the mentioned level of prices (that I paid for some classic commems) was reasonable or not. Hoped to clarify this, if somebody knew the current market prices.

I have read many times, that the classic commems are not popular now and so prices go down. But from my modest experience, there are some demand and competition during auctions, at least for the mid-MS. How does it look from your point of view?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6659 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No replies to my last question . Probably, I have formulated it not clear enough.

It was clear enough to me - my lack of reply was not a result of not trying to be supportive ... rather the burden of the 'value' being placed on the purchaser and how you assign value to these coins.

If you need independent validation of the prices paid, consider the following:

There are a few standard and updated references readily available that provide current market pricing for these (and most all USA coins).

I suggest you purchase an on-line single copy of the 'Grey Sheet' ... a publication of CDN. You can find them easily on the internet. This is the preferred dealer document to price coins ... and as such will address your questions.

It lists current, weekly Bid/Ask (Buy/Sell) prices for the classic silver commemorative series in all MS grade up through MS66 - which covers all of your acquisitions so far.

Also politely remind that in your original thread showing the initial 7 coins - I went into some detail on the concept of purchasing these coins at 'optimal collecting grade' ... it does not appear you have done so and I went through the same exact period as I was starting my 50-piece type set.

We welcome and enjoy your additions ... hopeful my tips above have provided you some additional resources to guide your collecting efforts in this lovely, challenging and often expensive series.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I went into some detail on the concept of purchasing these coins at 'optimal collecting grade

Nickelsearcher, thank you for your reply. I remember your idea on "optimal collecting grade" very well. It was new for me and I appreciated it immediately. It looks as a very reasonable approach.

However, sometimes a practical application of this approach is not so obvious. Just a brief example.

Assume that market prices for the same coin in different grades are: MS64 - $190, MS65 - $200, and MS66 - $500. According this approach, the target is MS65 - not very expensive and only $10 more for the higher grade comparing with MS64. However, assume now, that both MS64 and MS65 are available at some auction. Bids for MS65 reaches the market price, but it is possible to buy MS64 much cheaper, say for $140. Now the difference is $60, not $10. What to prefer - MS64 or MS65?

I understand, of course, that the answer is always personal and depends on the coin, collector's goals, budget, etc. Actually, I hate thinking on prices not on coin quality. However, what to do - paying more for one coin means not buying another coin.

Quote:
'Grey Sheet' ... a publication of CDN

Thank you for mentioning CDN. I use their free online values (CPG) but it looks that CPG prices are always higher that real auction prices. Not sure, if a CDN subscription provide the access to the same database as CPG or not.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05