Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Gold Coin To Collect

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  10:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking to start collecting US Gold coins either current issue or pre 1934 what coin would you recommend based on the following criteria

1. Cost in the $250 to $750 per coin range for decent grades (not top graded coins)

2. Available in PCGS slabs

3. Current price is as close to melt bullion value

I was thinking a decent graded current 1/4 eagle might fit the bill but if there is an older coin that is similar I would prefer it
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18446 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pre-33 issues can get pricey. You might have a shot a getting a full set of modern $5 gold commemoratives if you want to stay in your price range. The proof issues would be cheaper than the uncirculated issues.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He isn't going to get pre-1933 quarter and half eagles close to melt value unless they are damaged, jewelry pieces etc. The olny pre-1933 gold that might fit the criteria would be liberty head eagles and there is no way he would be able to come close to a full set, or probably even a date set. Best bet would be to do US gold Eagles either the 1/10 and 1/4 oz size.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
947 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One idea might be a full mint (P, CC, D, S, etc.) set of Liberty Half Eagles - more pricey that what you might want for a couple of them but certainly steeped in history
Pillar of the Community
United States
5960 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say the modern 1/2 or 1/4 eagles would fit your range and be closer to spot. Typical grade pr or ms 69 should be attainable for the set. As mentioned the commemorative 1/2 eagle set could also fall into the range but at 90% they cary slightly less gold than the American eagle series. They do offer a verity of designs and even with low mintages are obtainable at close to spot. I would avoid the 1/10 gold coins as they are mostly never near spot price.

I personally am collecting the commemorative 1/2 eagles in PCGS or NGC holders and am 2/3 complete.
Edited by muddler
12/21/2018 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9231 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with classic half eagles or eagles (Gold $5 and $10 pieces). Many PCGS graded pieces are priced at a modest premium to melt value and these coins are close to modern $10 & $25 Gold American Eagles in actual gold weight. I'll post a couple examples below but realize better deals are out there too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1879-Liber...cectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-1895-...cectupt=true
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am considering to doing a 20 coin collection for $5 Indian head gold in AU 55/58. The set will not have 4 key dates of 08 S, 09 O, 11 D, 29 but will include all other dates. You can not do this 20 coin set for melt or near melt. The set would be in your price range of $400 to $750 per coin. To do the complete set of $5 indian's 08 - 26 in you price range is not possible.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16069 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong, but if you are looking at close to melt value in high grade, to my mind, you seem to be thinking of getting as much gold for your money as well.

That leads me to the suggestion of slabbed Half Eagles.

Now, if I may be a little selfish.
I lust love the distinctive design of the BLP Half Eagles (1908-1916), which need to be slabbed, just to protect them from tiny nicks. You get recognized grading as well.

BLP Half Eagles tend to be the unsung heroes of American gold, because there are no scarce dates or mm's in the series, save for the 10909 O, and yet you have to get into the really high grades to get the big prices.

If you are happy to drop down the grades,
how about a Classic Head Half eagle in VF? - a tinge of earlier American numismatic history to go with it.

Edited by sel_69l
12/21/2018 6:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common date eagles. Here's a typical slabbed MS62, priced about $100 over melt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1881-Liber...!98101!US!-1

Current trade on BIN slabbed MS61 and MS62 $10 Liberties is about $700. I was offered a pretty nice unslabbed 1881-S by a coin dealer today for $616, very close to melt, but I passed on it.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
12/21/2018 11:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18720 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with that goal.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't bother trying to assemble a complete set of any of those gold coins series. You might try a mintmark set of Liberty Head Half Eagles/Eagles or one of each gold dollar type.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just beware that there are a lot of counterfeits of pre-33 US gold. Whatever you decide to choose you are best getting coins that are authenticated, and there usually is very little premium over raw coins. Although you are interested in US gold, something to consider might be early British sovereigns which sell for very little over face-- I choose these when I am looking for bullion gold, and they contain a little under 1/4 oz of gold.
Edited by jimbucks
12/22/2018 2:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so concerned with getting a full set just a different way of storing up some bullion. I like older coins and certified to avoid fakes I tend to trust PGGS slabs

Sovereigns sound interesting though
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sovereigns sound interesting though

Here are a couple I picked up as "random year", but many dealer will let you pick from date groups for a very small (if any) premium.

I was lucky and got some nice ones. If you have a local coin dealer, you might be able to pick through them.

Update: I just talked myself into buying a couple more, got them for $306 each.

Edited by jimbucks
12/22/2018 5:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05