Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Underweight Coin Cast?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  6:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

I recently got a coin which is 15.7 gram. I think it is underweight and also it seems dip into acid to create fake corrosion. I like to know expert opinion on this.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9667 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a couple pics of the edge so that we can look for a parting line?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7144 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh the graininess of the first picture because of the "sand" they used to make the mold and the "blow out" in the second picture caused by casting gasses migrating to the top of the metal - yes a casting
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Completed the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 18th.

Learn More...
United States
21952 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight is within limits, I don't see any problems with it.
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all

Mark1959 how did you know the flan issue is due casting? It could also be corrosion. Just for me to learn. I did not received the coin yet so dont know the edge.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AlRashid
This is the second "worry" thread you've posted today.
Why are you buying coins you suspect are fake?
Learn More...
United States
21952 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  03:33 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clarify, I don't see anything wrong with this coin other than some environmental damage and perhaps some horn silver on the surface.
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jskirwin I agree I should avoided it. but this ruler is rare and missing in my collection and price was reasonable. I thought was a good deal if authentic but Mark said it could be gas traveling to surface in casting so now I am worried about it.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JSermarini to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Oh the graininess of the first picture because of the "sand" they used to make the mold and the "blow out" in the second picture caused by casting gasses migrating to the top of the metal - yes a casting"

If this was a Kennedy half, maybe, but it is not. This is an ancient coin that spent 1500 years in the ground. It is not cast. It suffers from corrosion and lamination defects, common enough on ancient coins. Arash cancelled his order because of your opinion. Of course it isn't entirely your fault, he cancels or returns most coins he buys because he thinks they are fake, which is why he is banned from buying on VCoins.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's easy to fall into paranoia after being bitten by a fake, or seeing examples of "scary fakes" that deceive even experts. A few weeks ago I was walking in the woods on my property and I saw a snake. For the rest of my walk every branch on the ground became a snake. But I have seen plenty of sticks in the woods and haven't seen a snake since.

Quote:
Arash cancelled his order because of your opinion.

FYI for the few who don't know JSermarini is the owner of Forum Ancient Coins. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ Joe's mantra to new collectors has been know the coin, and if you don't know the coin, know the seller. I trust FAC and a handful of other sellers on VCoins. I also trust CNG and a few other established auction houses that guarantee what they sell.

If you can't shake the paranoia, you shouldn't walk in the woods. If you can't trust these sellers, then maybe you should find another hobby. Just be aware that I've collected modern coins, sports memorabilia and antique video games - and counterfeiting and fakery is rife in every single area. It's not just collectibles. My wife does international medicine and she's run into fake anti-malarials, anti-hypertensives and antibiotics. Those kill people.

Claiming these coins sold by established sellers like Joe reminds me of the people who come to see my wife. She'll diagnose them with a cold and they won't believe her. They'll challenge her decades of education and experience in medicine, sure they've got pneumonia, while she's seen thousands of cases of infection as well as thousands more common colds.

How many ancients have you handled - and not just seen on the Internet? If you can't trust expertise then you should become a doctor - or a coin expert yourself.
Edited by jskirwin
12/24/2018 5:32 pm
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jskirwin that is exactly what was the case. I have fell into trap few times by very very good fakes that was bought from very famous and trusted auction houses so I got this paranoia of fakes. I love to collect coin but like to do it cautiously. and n9 offense joe is great and he is very trust worthy but since fakers got very good at what they do even experts can be tricked occasionally so I like to always ask few opinion rather than rely on one. This proved accurate in past and helped me avoid good fakes that exist out there. I dont see any harm of asking for opinions of people and decide based on that to be safe.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AthensOwl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me see if I have this correct: you doubt an acknowledged expert like Joe who held the coin in his hand but trust the opinions of random strangers looking at photos on an internet forum?
Edited by AthensOwl
12/24/2018 6:11 pm
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AthensOwl ofcourse joe but hearing other opinon even from less expert doesn't hurt and he provided reason not just saying what he thinks his reason I remember I heard it from another experienced collector that sometimes the corrosion and crystalization happens in casting when the metal cools fast and gas bubbles cause something similar to lamination. I have seen some fakes that has crystalized surfaces that is why I say some forgers are getting very good at decieving.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I say some forgers are getting very good at decieving.
AlRashid

But every coin you get isn't going to be a fake, just like every stick in the woods isn't going to be a snake.

I think you're collecting some pricey stuff if memory serves. I can understand why have doubts, which is why I don't have a coin that cost over $500, although I might go long on my Holy Grail next month.

Have you considered dialing your purchases back a notch? Buy some cheapies that are fun but won't bother you much if they turn out fake.

It sounds to me like getting burned has put you in a bad place. You might want to consider setting the hobby aside for awhile until you feel better about it. I had to do that with sports memorabilia - which is why I entered ancients.
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jskirwin my friend you are ONLY guy who understand me :) Yesss that is the problem I spend way much and only got high end coins and burned few times . You are absolutly right . I am actually getting my last three coins in an auction next month and call it done. will take a long break from ancient collecting and just enjoy what I got so far ( the real ones) and try to get over the loss on fakes although to be honest is hard and always bothers me :(
Learn More...
United States
21952 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community Joe and AthenOwl, nice to have you here Joe.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05