Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1830 Proof Five Dollar Gold Half Eagle PCGS PR62

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 839Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  2:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - "Rare coins are stars in their own right, but the 1830 Proof Five Dollar Gold Half Eagle is in a class all by itself. With a mintage of only three coins, the 1830 Five Dollar Proof is one of the most elusive of all Half Eagles." Recently crossed from a competing grading service's PR63 holder to a PCGS PR62.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20901 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one I'll never get to own.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48867 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive to say the least.
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8803 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bet they wish they hadn't crossed it now without choosing the "same or better only" option!!

Still a lovely coin in any grade and exquisitely rare. Much like most of you, I'll never OWN one, but if I had the money I'd probably be buying C or D mint gold instead :P
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bet they wish they hadn't crossed it now without choosing the "same or better only" option!!

Interesting. I was just wondering if the grade really makes much difference in this case? I probably wouldn't have bothered with a regrade at all. What are the other two graded (if they're even still around?)

I think sometimes the old guys with the big wallets just do this to keep their coins in the news.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8803 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't make much difference, honestly, given the rarity of the coin, but well-heeled buyers might stigmatize a 62 grade a bit more than a 63, which could have financial consequences if the coin were to be sold for some reason. (On the other hand, it might drive bidding up, too, if someone thinks they can cross it back to a 63 at NGC.)
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1684 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least one of the other two is in the Smithsonian as part of the Lilly gold coin collection. When I was there 30 years ago the entire Lilly collection was on display in it's own room. To say it was amazing doesn't even begin to describe how awesome it was to see.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
925 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was just wondering if the grade really makes much difference in this case? I probably wouldn't have bothered with a regrade at all.

Coins of this rarity and price point PCGS one grade down will be worth more than NGC one grade up. The holders are optically better to start and the big big big money buyers (especially several of the billionaires/multi-billionaires) have a preference for PCGS which is why the overwhelming majority of 6 and 7 figure coins are either in PCGS holders or get crossed over to them as soon as they're bought. We've seen this time and time again even if they have to give up a grade. If it would details with PCGS or lose multiple grades than maybe you think twice on some other coins but with a mintage of only 3 you're probably doing it as long as it straight grades.

We've seen coins like these consistently get crossed to PCGS and there's no reason to think or any sign that will change.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17076 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold proof coins are sensitive.
Rubbing in the fields quite evident.
That's why PR62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three coins and millions of collectors. Does the grade really matter at this point?
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 839Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05