Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

LSC D 2018 Broken Planchet? Broken Die? Out Of Loomis Roll

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,502Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  04:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JADubya to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Do not keep starting new topics when you are merely replying to existing topics. Your other two topics have been deleted (nothing in them not also in this topic) ***

Any ideas on what happened here?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JADubya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34364 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Going to need a little better photo,front and back with less glare please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1454 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the weight if you can, please.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17092 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking laminate failure, with a reasonably sized piece having fallen off.

Not a die failure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  08:26 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely it's a large strike through error. You can see smaller strike throughs on Lincoln and below the G in GOD.
Learn More...
United States
87999 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems intriguing. I agree with most comments. Less glare would help. Currently seems struck through, pending reverse and weight are normal. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JADubya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will get a better pic and weight when I get home it looks like something came across the face taking this portion there are multiple smaller chunks missing right before the left side of face and on face then there are streaks running from the right face until the chunk that is missing
Edited by JADubya
01/04/2019 2:38 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JADubya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the reverse was unaffected except light streaking... It was fully struck making me think something other than
struck through
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sullysullinburg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others said, better photos would help. Currently, I'm leaning toward so type of strikethrough but, could be some type of lamination before it was plated.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17092 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think strike through because
the surface texture of the affected area does not suggest this.

The cause of lamination failures are often the result of a metal impurity being rolled into the metal strip (before blanking).
In this case, a droplet of oil may have been the sort of impurity that would be the cause of what we see in this case. The oil droplet could have been rolled out and had affected quite a large area of blanking strip.
Edited by sel_69l
01/05/2019 06:25 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check DrDon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DrDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is damaged. I have a coin with three such scrapes. My first thought was "struck through" but closer inspection showed raised metal along the edges of the grooves.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34364 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to wait for better pics,front and back and a weight. I think the zinc core is pure zinc,so how could it have a LAM before copper plating. I was leaning towards a struck through from the get go,but will wait for better pics.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16684 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Single metal ingots CAN have flaws that result in laminations.)

I have a bit of a problem with PSD in that the rims seem fairly well formed and not damaged. A lamination could still give you good rims. A strike through could possibly as well. With a lamination, especially one this large I would theink there should be some weakness on the reverse. A strike though on the other hand would have a well struck reverse due to the extra material present during the strike.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1457 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cropped, reoriented, and enhanced a portion of the original photo. I marked three ares with different colors. Here is the enhanced photo:

The circled areas point to three different concerns I see with this coin. The red circle at the rim shows some flattening of the rim. The coin isn't mangled, but has been squeezed in this area by something. Clearer photos of the affected area and the full obverse and reverse will be vital.

The yellow circled area shows something either removed from the surface or added to the surface surrounding the curve of the zero in the date. (The original photo is not clear enough to tell which situation exists.) The curve of the zero, however, does not appear to be damaged. IMHO, a strike-through would have damaged the curve of the zero and not wrapped around the curve.

The green circled area shows what appears to be concentric contact marks on the coin. These marks do not have the same orientation as the gouges across Lincoln's face or the two different marks or layers covering the last two digits of the date north toward the motto. I find it interesting that the two linear marks are oriented differently, NNW-ESE at the top and NNE-WSW on the bottom.

One possibility to throw out there would be damage caused during the bulk bagging process. A cent caught in the neck of the bulk bag during the crimping/sealing process could receive both linear surface damage and significant gouges.

Anyway, clearer photos would help.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05