Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So, How Bad is This 1875 P Seated Liberty Half Dol.?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing all those scratches, I figured what the hey... This is Bon "Hasn't Scratched Yet" Ami rubbed on with my fingers. Notice that the "skateboard" scratches are gone. The picture here pretty much shows what I see in person, except that the fainter lettering is less faint in person, because I can change the viewing angle.

But give this final version a rating. Next I'll post a coin I got that was polished in what I think is a much worse way. (And several of the polished ones I got acquired a yellowish cast.)

Edited by Pauldog
01/11/2019 4:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This makes me sick. The coin looked really nice in the pictures at the start of the thread, with nice original attractive surfaces, and now it's a hideous polished blob.
Pillar of the Community
United States
525 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pauldog Did you use something to clean this? Like a cloth, tool, etc or just soak it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31375 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost afraid to hear the answer.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already said how I did it right above posting the latest photos. I figured I had nothing to lose with all those scratches showing up in the photos after the first cleaning.

If you don't like this, you should see the ugly polished ones I got from the same coin dealer. My theory is that they were tossed around in a rock tumbler like stones. I can't get a good picture of them - their color in photos is dullish gray, even though in person they're super-shiny and smooth, yet worn from use before the polishing. Some of them have acquired a bit of a yellowish tinge.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"now it's a hideous polished blob"

Take another look at the first photo of the eagle's wings.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8867 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  01:05 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looked nice in the original photos (an original coin). Now it looks like a harshly cleaned coin.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have perhaps tried a light dip in E-Z-Est (like one second, then immediate rinse in distilled, then some baking soda/water mixture or other alkaline solution). I look at it more from the financial aspect. You had a ~$40 dollar coin, and now you have one worth melt ~$6. I have a feeling though that you may be trolling just a little ;)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31375 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you may have won a victory but lost the war.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not trolling, I'm new to all this and learning by doing and making mistakes. Nobody pointed out (I read it elsewhere later) that silver is soft and scratches easily, and that the black stuff is tarnish of the alloy metals, since silver itself, like gold, doesn't corrode. (I had assumed it was just dirt there and that it would come off easily with acetone. I was wrong.) I don't personally know anyone who collects coins, and only got into this a little bit recently by finding that my "junk silver" coins were not all junk.

I think it's still worth more than melt value because of scarcity. And if I don't sell it, it's only a paper loss. And there are probably ways to make it re-tarnish faster, if I wanted to fool around more, which I probably don't.
Edited by Pauldog
01/12/2019 9:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having a hard time following the twists and turns of this thread.

Trying to understand what has happened to this coin is giving me a headache. And I don't understand how 'trolling' was entered in to part of the dialog.

Moving along with a suggestion that admins just lock it.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Learn More...
Canada
8216 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I look at it more from the financial aspect. You had a ~$40 dollar coin, and now you have one worth melt ~$6

Probably a fair assumption - but we all have made mistakes while learning how to handle and work with coins, and frankly, a $40 coin isn't a bad idea to practice, make mistakes, and learn from - certainly much better than a $400 or a $4000 coin...

Quote:
I figured I had nothing to lose with all those scratches showing up in the photos after the first cleaning.

This is an important statement, and I think most of you are overlooking this. The owner knows the first cleaning brought out the scratches and acknowledges the coin has gone beyond the point of no return - so why not get the best bang for the buck, and learn more...

Most importantly, this lesson is documented by being here. So in the future, if a new collector suggests cleaning a coin, you can point them to this thread, as an example.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you... now I can start to enjoy this.

The coin started as a G4-G6, so I don't think it was worth as high as $40, and I don't think it's only worth $6 now. I'll unbury it from the moist Irish peat in a few decades, and use it to pay for all of your grandchildren's college educations. ;)

I'm more concerned about this coin (not the first one, but the one with the same year/mint that I posted later), which is going through accusations of counterfeitedness, partly by association, and partly by hard-to-read-well photography:
http://goccf.com/t/337460

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm more concerned about this coin (not the first one, but the one with the same year/mint that I posted later), which is going through accusations of counterfeitedness, partly by association, and partly by hard-to-read-well photography:

This part of the problem. A communication problem. Try to only talk about the coin we are discussing in this thread and don't veer off topic. When you start mentioning other coins in other threads it just confuses everyone.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm half expecting an update post with the coin's surfaces sanded flat, at the rate this is going
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05