Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Research I Have Done On Why No Laminations On Zinc Cents

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you subscribe to Coin World , you can look it up. It was around December of 2017

I am a CW subscriber, but was not in 2017. Any way you could send me a copy of that article? (Even subscribers cannot access CW archives)!
Edited by Pete2226
06/07/2019 2:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have stumbled on to another observation which may be relevant, although it seems a bit counter-intuitive. I would be interested in any comments.

It is that the lower the Tensile Strength, the less likely a metal is to produce laminations. Here is a summary of that information:

Tensile Strength (UTS)
Incumbent Materials╣
Cent: Copper Plated Zinc Tensile Strength = 26 ksi**
Nickel: Cupronickel Tensile Strength = 96 ksi
Quarter: Cupronickel-Clad C110 = 65.5 ksi
There is a negative linear relationship between tensile strength and adjusted delamination factor.▓
1. ALTERNATIVE METALS STUDY
Contract Number: TM-HQ-11-C-0049
FINAL REPORT
August 31, 2012
Submitted to: United States Mint
801 Ninth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20220
2.https://www.researchgate.net/public...tic_emission
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While laminations are seldom seen in modern coins they CAN occur in clad, solid alloy AND plated zinc cents.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While laminations are seldom seen in modern coins they CAN occur in clad, solid alloy AND plated zinc cents.

I hope someone can provide a photo or a link to an article about lamination on zinc cents. I have seen none, but that does not mean it is impossible!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41003 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Halo: That coin was struck through a piece of plating foil. Note under the raised plating, your see copper color, not gray like zinc.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/07/2019 2:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41003 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stoneman: It looks like letters from a reverse of a quarter/some othercoin on the bust of Lincoln?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2127 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, I agree due to the images not showing the under side of the raised section very well.

What caught my eye is the silver piece that seems to be attached to the underside of the raised copper plating. Noted in the center of this cropped image. Thanks, Doug.

Edit: More food for thought. Seems to display some rigidity exceeding that of a piece of plating foil that's considered to only be (x)-microns thick.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
06/07/2019 9:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Halo - your photo is interesting, but I know of no way to process it that is not subjective. An in focus photo might help. The plating is designed to be 8 microns thick. Some microscopes have the ability to measure which would add an objective interpretation. Plating will show some rigidity when peeling, I think.

By the way, I published this paper on another forum and it received a response from Mike Diamond, who said:

Quote:
I've seen examples where the copper plating is cracking and peeling, but no examples in which copper plating has been deposited on a zinc core which has experienced delamination.

I don't see why pure (or nearly pure) discs of zinc shouldn't experience the occasional lamination error. After all, the pure copper Half Cents and large cents of the 19th century certainly had their share. My knowledge base is not the entirely of human experience.

Makes me want to double the call for examples!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05