Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins You Have Once Owned, Sold Or Traded, And That You Wish You Had Again!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  5:55 pm Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought this might be a good thread as I was day dreaming about the 1812/1 large 8 Bust Half Dollar that I once owned. Sold mine back in '97 at auction that was exclusively only Bust Halves. If I remember correctly at the time there was no Greysheet value for an AU. And I believe the XF value was $7500 to $8500. Mine was tied for finest known and I had it slabbed by PCGS. They gave it a conservative AU 50. Still have the original plate photo of the beauty from the auction catalog. The attached image is either the one I owned or very much like it. Wish I had it again! Post your wish I had it again!

Edited by collectinsince65
01/12/2019 10:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4662 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1). BU roll of 1900-S Morgan dollars
2). 1882-P PCGS slabbed MS 66 quarter ...a very colorful coin, too!
3). 1911-D $10 Indian PCGS slabbed AU58
4). 1921-S slabbed ANACS XF45 WL half dollar
5). 1886 v-nick slabbed PCGS 64

The list could go on and on.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive list Westernsky!!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2726 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I guess that the story of why you sold/ traded it would fascinate us!

Was it economics or changing interests?
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question oriole! Economics. Simple answer is 21 year old son was a newborn, and he was gonna need some new shoes. You know how the story goes! He did get those new shoes. Senior in college now. Proud of him.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1972 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1846-C AG3 (cracked it out) half eagle pocket coin. A guy in Raleigh wanted it more than I did, and I swapped for some forgettable silver dollars and cash.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15906 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a U.S. coin, but I sold an ancient silver tetradrachm of Hadrian (Nilus reclining reverse), in February 1976, and bought it back again at public auction, as part of a job lot, about 20 years later.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8239 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coins You Have Once Owned, Sold or Traded, and That You Wish You Had Again!

All of them I love all coins and hate selling them, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hindsight is, in fact, always 20/20, and sometimes you are forced to make decisions knowing full well you are going to regret the heck out of them later.

I sold off over 15% of my better (>$250/coin) inventory in the last 2 years and probably wrote off a 30-40% loss on those coins in the process but medical bills are expensive, my property taxes are going up, my wages are not going up, and a certain government person's meddling with tariffs and general scaremongering cost me a 16% loss on my aggressively invested Roth IRA for 2018.

As much as I love collecting coins, some things are just more important. Plus, I didn't sell off anything that was so rare I couldn't buy it back later in the future, because I never had anything that rare in the first place.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
7050 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:07 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with wanting them all back as a collector. Not so sure I agree the same when I was a full time coin dealer.

I built a few collections over the years, my favorite one, I built over a dozen years or so, finished off by it's sale to help pay my father's mounting medical bills. It was a really nice Two Cent Piece collection (complete in all but the 1864 Small Motto Proof), both for Business strike and Proofs, all coins were slabbed NGC/PCGS at 66BN or 66RB, (1867DDO in NGC MS64RB), the complete collection included the Small Motto in MS only, Both styles of Plain and Fancy 1865, Both 1872 Business and proof strikes as well as the proof only open and closed 1873 varieties.

A few other coins I had and either traded or sold I wish I could have back now:

1793 Chain Cent S-1 might go AU today but was easily an EF45 with no issues, it looked very original and had clean, porous free surfaces.

1836 Gobrecht Dollar Pattern J58 Impaired Proof in an ANACS AU53 old small white holder, just hairlines from an old attempt at cleaning, really not too bad as the coin was starting to re-tone. This is the obverse with "C.Gobrecht.f." under Liberty.

1866 W/Rays Shield Nickle NGC MS66 (should've been a 66+ or 67 IMO).

A run of 3 strongly struck 1882, 1883, 1884 New Orleans Mint Morgan dollars, All of them with the cleanest cheeks and deepest full DMPLs I ever saw, (you would swear they were branch proofs, but ANACS nixed that in person). I traded straight across a Saint Gaudens double eagle for each silver dollar. Other dealers and friends thought I was nuts (at the time, early 1980's, that was probably about $375/coin). I ended up doing okay when I sold them, I actually made some profit. But, if I could have them today? In PCGS slabs I'd bet 66/67+ DMPL and $60K+ per/coin. They are still some of the finest Morgan dollars I ever saw in hand (until I got to see the Jack Lee collection up close and personal).

1878-S Morgan VAM 72 It ended up being the discovery piece I traded it to Larry Briggs, who figured out it wasn't the VAM 28 I thought it was. He ended up giving me a bit extra in trade at the next Long Beach show IIRC. Stand Up guy and dealer! Coin was pulled out of a "your pick silver dollar bucket" at a local "We buy Gold" shop in SoCal around 2000 for about $8 or $10, I also pulled two nice 1878-P 8TF VAM 9's from the same shop - XF/AU on all the coins.

I also stupidly turned down a chance to buy a 1878-P 7/8TF VAM44 ANACS MS63DMPL old white small holder, IIRC the price was about $2300.00 and it was right before the TOP 100 VAM book was released. That coin resold a few times over that year ending up being a $25K+ coin. So technically that coin just "got away" and I never had any ownership in it.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
01/13/2019 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7706 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many to mention, but normally sold 'em to pay a bill of sort or another.

Here is one of them;

Bought her as a PCGS AU53 CAC, resubmitted her and received an upgrade to 55...and still received the green bean. I seen her at a couple dealers websites just after I sold her.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
01/13/2019 01:43 am
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edthelorax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coin I really miss is the 1955 DDO Lincoln I inherited from my dad. I sold the s-vdb, a 14-D (which he pulled from circ.), 22 plain XF, that 55/55 and a 1942/1 dime for the 5k downpayment on my house in 2008. I like to brag my downpayment was $.14. He told me "don't ever sell the coins" but I am sure he would approve of that choice. I have since flipped a couple 14-D's and 22 plains. I don't miss them one bit. Some day I will get a 55/55 with more eye appeal than that AU details coin had. I will just hold it for a while and let it move on. Hopefully at a profit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 50 years collecting there are many that have gone through my hands that I now wish I still had.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05