Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maybe Another ASE Sleeper

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  09:29 am Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well back in December I mentioned the 2018 S proof that went "currently unavailable" mid December (still CU) at 158,785 (plus the LESPS coins)..so a tad over 200k which is low for a proof....just noticed the 2018 W that is still for sale and is only at 132,544 and, as far as I know, is not included in any other product options...no Annual Dollar set to add

No clue how many they have left in stock but this is a very low W mintage right now...

Let me know if I missed its' inclusion in another product...
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the W coin the uncirculated coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, Burnished W for sale by the Mint every year

I should add that sales have been averaging around 220k since 2012 with the lowest being the 2017:

Quote:
2017 - 176,565

Depending on how many are left this 2018 will blow that year away....I'm working on finding out how many are left...
Edited by Foxwoods Man
02/01/2019 10:35 am
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is this a trending disinterest? If so, buying in the hopes of future expanded interest in collecting the whole series? Just wondering what the upside of buying these would be.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2011 - 409,766
2012 - 226,120
2013 - 221,981
2014 - 253,169
2015 - 223,879
2016 - 216,501
2017 - 176,565

2017 was the outlier.Other than that 220k is about the average..less than 150k would be VERY interesting.

Not an "all in" item but might be worth thinking about. I just picked up some PCGS 70's just in case that are presently selling for a smidgen above what the raw cost plus grading would be...and they are First Strike 70's

Still waiting for the remaining in stock number which will tell the story....50k in stock makes it a "Meh"..more than that would put it on "ignore"

Edited by Foxwoods Man
02/01/2019 11:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other factor to consider besides supply is the demand. In general there appears to be more demand for modern proof issues compared with coins that are uncirculated. But market forces can be fickle.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct...and demand is probably the most important factor...but...sometimes when a sleeper gets sold out it creates a demand just because it is the key of the W series.

Look at some of those ignored Congrats and the 2016 Annual Dollar Set...no demand but now sell at a significant premium ..and really significant if attributed

Need that "Back to the Future" playbook to see what will happen
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok boys and girls...there are not 50,000 left but only 4887 which means this will be the key of the W's by over 40,000

The data is yours to do with as you please....
Edited by Foxwoods Man
02/01/2019 2:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you know there are 4887 left?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers can see remaining stock up to 20k...I have done some favors for one
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are there ~100,000 people assembling full sets of all ASEs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually you can buy these on the secondary market for less than what the mint is charging. Just saying.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct...because it is not sold out and collectors assume it will sell over or around 200k before going dark. I would think once the remaining coins are sold it will be reported as the Key coin of the W series and things will change....maybe...maybe not...not a big investment anyway.

I remember the 2016 Congrats set that EVERYONE ignored...crap set with a regular proof W...once it sold out it went stupid. Definitely not saying this will happen but I can see more potential with this that the presently available proof ASE's that sell in the multi-hundred thousands...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rare...AOSwQZdb~aWM

Re: raw coins available at a discount from dealers especially those selling similar but graded ASE's.... I went for this last year and most of the coins had obvious faults. Some were decent but quite a few had to be returned..go for it if that's your bag but they are still available from the source..and the Mint doesn't cull out those that will grade low

The info was posted only as info for everyone to think about and not a recommendation to buy or sell....

Edit: I should add that this will probably be on sale for a decent amount of time 'cuz it fell off the radar. I will check the numbers in a few weeks....
Edited by Foxwoods Man
02/02/2019 08:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own I know, BUT I will never understand label collectors
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with ya...I DO collect and sell graded coins and kinda understand the "set" thing but....that link is just plain stupid.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1335 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't the value of the 2016 Congratulations Set take off after the 2017 Congratulations Set came out with the 2017-S proof? The 2017 set was seen as desirable because that's the only place you can get the 2017-S proof ASE. It seem like then people started wanting the 2016 set simply because it was so much rarer than the 2017 set. They're ignoring or unaware that the coin in the 2016 set is much more common.

I'll never understand someone paying a premium for a label that says a coin was from a particular set. If the OGP is so important, then just leave it in the original packaging. I personally like the OGP, but draw the line in my collection at the coins themselves. If you can't tell the difference by looking at the coin, then it's the same.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05