Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The US Mint That Never Was

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  10:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have long been fascinated with history. Coin collecting, for me, is a representative of such. As I often find myself doing, I stumbled across a very interesting piece of coinage history I had never heard of. By chance looking for information of U.S. mint contacts and congressional leaders so I might e-mail a suggestion. But that's for a future topic when I get some responses. Anyhow, this is what I learned.

By now, we all know of gold being discovered in California. With the boom in full motion, some prospectors began spreading out, north into the mostly uninhabited Oregon territory save for Indians and trappers. Gold was soon discovered, in 1851, and by late 1852 vast deposits were being mined along the Josephine and Althouse creeks of the Illinois Valley. Just as California had seen a mad rush west, so too had Oregon. By 1860, Oregon now a state, the population swelled to over 10,000 in and around Dulles City (modern day The Dulles) along the Columbia River. And like the first discoveries of other areas, miners carried around gold dust and nuggets as payment for transactions since no mints were readily available save for that in San Francisco.

It was in 1862 the Senator James Nesmith proposed legislation to create a mint in Portland, Oregon for that purpose. It failed. Largely due to the raging Civil War in the east. It would be two years before legislation passed on July 4, 1864 establishing a mint, not in Portland, but Dulles City, for the purpose of coining gold and silver.

Long story short, the building began construction the following year. Delays and cost overruns only permitted a single story of the two proposed to be erected before the gold reserves dried up. With that, construction had ended in 1869 and the stone building, which still stands, traded hands and endured several fires since. Today it is the Erin Glenn Winery.

Your patients in my long post is appreciated. Just my way of passing on some history. Imagine if they had finished it and struck coins. Bet those would be some pricy pieces like those of Charlotte and Dahlonega. Hope you enjoyed that.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11769 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine the confusion people would have today with a DC mint mark
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool history! Thanks for the post!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1816 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece of (near) numismatic history, @ballyhoo.

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16774 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, never heard this one before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5822 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this into - interesting for sure.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7708 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9416 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good read! Thanks for the history lesson.

Quote:
I have long been fascinated with history.

Same here... I believe that by being a numismatist, you are also by default a historian to some degree.

Quote:
Oregon now a state, the population swelled to over 10,000...

This stat makes me giggle a little bit (in a maniacal way). I live in one of the top 15 most populous cities in the Union. In fact, it's entirely possible there are 10k people in my massive neighborhood. I have a hard time imagining an entire state the size of Oregon with only 10k people. What did they do for a wine bar?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3822 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice write up.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17790 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real interesting historical information. Now all we need is someone to go there and try to finish that building.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
19345 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now all we need is someone to go there and try to finish that building.

Quote:
Today it is the Erin Glenn Winery.
Learn More...
United States
69548 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15198 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact, it's entirely possible there are 10k people in my massive neighborhood. I have a hard time imagining an entire state the size of Oregon with only 10k people.

That was 10K people in and around Dalles City, not in the state. By law it took at least 25K people to form a state.

There has been Legislation introduced in Congress several times over the years to create other mints. A mint in New York has been proposed a few times, there was legislation introduced to form a mint in Indiana once. None of these ever passed. The legislation for the Dalles City mint did pass (otherwise they would not have built the building)
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05