Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Coin In A Clasp.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
808 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  3:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It seems like the clasp hasn't damaged the coin. My mom gave me this and had no idea what the coin inside is. My friend says early Roman copper coin, I've been scanning haven't found it yet. Thanks for the help!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Willburton
02/10/2019 5:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Roman Constantine ancient coin.

Ask to have this moved to the ancient
coin section, and you should get some replies.
Edited by GR58
02/10/2019 6:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks GR someone moved it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse legend is CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C (= CONSTANTINVS IVNIOR NOBILISSIMVS CAESAR, "Constantine Junior Most Noble Caesar"). Constantine II as Caesar (junior emperor), 317-337, under his father Constantine I "The Great". The reverse legend GLORIA EXERCITVS means "Glory of the army". The letters below look like PLG which would stand for the Lugdunum (Lyons) mint. This coin type was issued between about 330 and 335. A nice but quite common coin.
Edited by Kushanshah
02/10/2019 7:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
808 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot kushanshah. I had a feeling the clasp was more valuable than the coin. I looked for it and there are a lot more Roman coins than I expected.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had a feeling the clasp was more valuable than the coin.

If that clasp is 14k or even 10k gold then yes it likely is.

And yes there are a lot of ancient coins out there. It's a surprise to all of us when we start. But just because they are plentiful doesn't detract from holding something 1700 years old (as with your coin) or older.

It's pretty sublime.
Learn More...
Australia
13128 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to see what your coin would look like without the clasp, see some examples on this Wildwinds page; scroll down to the entries around "Lyons RIC VII 254".

These clasps almost always do damage the coin, unless the jeweller has been very, very careful and the jewellery-piece hasn't been worn very much. The coin will likely suffer further damage if removal was attempted. As such, it is worth far more as an intact jwellery-piece than as a damaged coin and a lump of scrap gold and unidentified gemstones. Coin collectors, however, would probably not appreciate owning such a piece.

I am wondering why someone would enframe a coin of Constantine II though. Perhaps a previous owner had mistaken it for a coin of his much much more famous - and much more likely to be revered - father; Constantine the Great is a Saint in the Orthodox church.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap
I think you nailed it. It's got that icon look to it.
People see the Constantius and assume it's dad.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05