Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916-S Lincoln Wheat Cent New Rim Cud - Au+

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,317Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2368 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't shoot coin images from top dead center as they tend to look fairly poor with that angle and my lighting. So yes, just slightly askew with the photo angle, but not much.

This morning JC listed it as: CU-1C-1916S-01 RIM CUD (as predicted by Halo1st).

The coin diameter at the cud is 19.2mm. The coin diameter 90 degrees from this is 19.2mm.

The edge thickness as measured at two places not associated with the cud is 1.6mm

The edge thickness right on top of the cud is 1.8mm.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say that thickness exceeds modern day 1.52mm specs. New listing confirmed. Now I should have something to compare to when and if I find one. Thanks, Doug.

Adding: the 19.2mm diameter may allude to some collar wear aiding in the rim cud and misalignment. Normal diameter 19.05mm.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
02/20/2019 2:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add seanqueue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot yet send email through this forum, but if the OP can reach out to me, I may know where there is another similar coin of interest.

Sean Reynolds
Pillar of the Community
United States
2368 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2019  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sean, and welcome to the CCF. First, I honestly don't know of any real way to get in touch with someone new here (although you've been doing this stuff forever) as it's all about number of posts. Second, if you were referencing that 1919-S that recently sold on eBay well I got that one. Not as spiffy as the coin posted here, but it's still a nice one. Last thing. I saw the two dates you are missing for the clips. Mine are all just in a bag but most are wheats so I will take a quick look and see if I've got what you're after as shouldn't take too long. Thought about grabbing that 1923-S with a clip that sold today at auction but really don't collect clips so hopefully someone that is looking for such a thing got a good price on it.

I checked and don't have what you need. Closest I've got is an 1982 large date copper clip, but that's not helpful.
Edited by tropicalbats
02/23/2019 12:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2019  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cookiemonster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you did it again , nice, glad you share with us ,we get to see some nice stuff. good luck and happy hunting
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add seanqueue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not referring to the 1919, but rather a 1915-D , I spotted it a couple of weeks ago. The eBay item number is 362542842672. I would have grabbed it myself and flipped it but it's priced where there's not any meat left on the bone.

Where did you see a 1923-S cent clip up for auction? I'm always liking for upgrades or better dates . I also appreciate you checking for my missing dates, I'd dearly love to fill those last two holes in the album.

Sean
Edited by seanqueue
02/23/2019 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2368 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1923-S was just in a little lot of cents. Item #163549748029 and went for ten bucks plus shipping probably because there was a 1909 VDB in there. Minor clip on a coin with nice details. There was also a 1931-S with a big faked clip that sold on the 17th for $76. Feel bad for whomever bought that one.

I hadn't seen that 1915-D. Sure is a dandy, but you are right about the price. Always tough to decide on ones like that where the coin itself is worth quite a lot and the question is whether the error actually increases the coin value much at all at that point. I know a guy who may want it, though, and will pass that along. Too expensive for me to just pick it up for my collection, although that possible bar under the L makes it tempting. Dr. Wiles has told me he isn't attributing any more 1915-D bar under L varieties for the time being as he is concerned about just exactly what is going on there as there seem to be a lot of them. So couldn't get it attributed even if it is a new one and so it is still a pass for me.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add seanqueue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That '23-S slipped under my radar, I absolutely would have thrown a bid at it had I seen it. Thanks for the link, I'll have to look at what else that seller has available.

I saw the '31-S and agree that it was garbage. It's coins like that one that will turn people off of error collecting forever.

Now that we each know we're looking, feel free to point any more clips like that '23-S and I'll keep looking for cuds for you as wel.

Sean
Edited by seanqueue
02/23/2019 6:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add seanqueue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like your friend won that '15-S, it sold via the Best Offer option on Saturday night. I'm glad it went somewhere it will be appreciated.

Sean
Pillar of the Community
United States
2368 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, he made a pretty reasonable offer and the seller accepted it. I too am glad he got it as that's a darn nice coin to let slip away from the cud collectors.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05