Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Or Counterfeit? 1870 CC Seated Dollar.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  8:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Is this Seated dollar real or a counterfeit?

***Determinations must be made with picture diagnostics only.Weight and other in hand information is unavailable so there is no need for those comments.***

Poll Choices
 Real
 Counterfeit
  I'm not sure. I just voted to see what others thought.

Who Can Vote? Only Members can vote. You need to register or be logged in to vote.
Edited by MikeF
02/21/2019 10:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake! Something about the color.
Let's see what others say.
Edited by bill069
02/21/2019 9:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fields look too rough, like from spark erosion dies
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse looks totally off to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
947 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks real for the date and CC. The coin has been in circulation and has what appears to be normal wear. The reverse fields look off with cast like bubbles and I have no explanation why other than a counterfeit. Any attempt to call the coin genuine or counterfeit would be simply a guess without seeing the coin in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2019  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the obverse, I'm concerned about all the horizontal and vertical lines in the lower part. While I see hints of some on certified examples, nothing to the extent seen here. On the reverse, other than appearing incredibly bubbly, IGWT - the bottom of G seems joined to the top, the top of O is missing, and the left top of T is missing. In the context that this might be fake, the counterstamp seems cheesy, like it was added to lend an air of authenticity. But I really don't know for sure. I don't see anything where the denticles don't line up right, etc, but I kind of expect that these days.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18720 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be just a guess
just carl
Learn More...
United States
23070 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  08:39 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at a lot of corroded Seated coins, and this looks to me like fake corrosion. The toning is also suspicious. Even if it were real, the asking price is double what it should be.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$1200 for a raw coin on ebay?
Enough said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The counterstamp, even if legit, is considered damage. I still think it's a fake priced higher than what the value of a real one goes for . The seller states
Quote:
with an interesting story to tell.

Really? So what exactly is this "story"?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like neither the coin nor the counterstamp, and am highly suspicious of both, but that's just my opinion.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
7134 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say real, but coin was buried and cleaned.....surface definitely messed with...something like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3562 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking the coin COULD be genuine, POSSIBLY resurrected from a fire and/or otherwise bearing ED. Note that the edges are quite banged up ... PERHAPS, from being artificially aged in a tumbler? I'd have to see this piece in person to cast an educated opinion. If counterfeit, it may be a contemporary piece. The stamp font/style looks to be 1800's.

From my perspective, this counterstamp detracts from the value. It's not a desirable merchant or political stamping. It's a one-of-a-kind, personal piece, akin to a love token. Oftentimes, counterstamps can add to a coin's value. In this case, likely not; this, IF the coin is genuine, that is!

As a side note, in my collection of 2,500+ counterstamps, there are but two contemporary counterfeit hosts, being a Bust Half and a Seated quarter. Considered as a genre, counterstamped contemporary counterfeits are a rare breed. So, if the 1870-CC is a contemporary counterfeit, the counterstamp would add some modest value for particular collectors of this stuff.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05