Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Collect Next?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  10:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I completed my IHC set, Lincoln Wheat set, Roosevelt dimes (silver), Jefferson nickels through the 60's and closing in on Franklin half set. I have some Morgans, Peace dollars and Walking Liberty halves. One thought is getting into a type set. Another is the short set of Walking Liberty halves in MS66. If I go with a type set, is it better to go after key dates or common dates in higher grades?
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still have 8 Franklins to find. 1957 in either ms65 or ms65fbl seems the most elusive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6330 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  11:41 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started my type set. High grades for moderns. For classics go with eye appeal
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, GrapeCollects!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're into earlier 20-century coinage , my personal favourite are the Barber dime series. Obviously the 94S isn't required but still very fun to hunt and find high grade specimens.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44043 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the classics, you're pretty much confined to common dates if you're going for high grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2458 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may want to consider a $2.50 Indian gold set. It is a very do able set in AU 58 if you do not purchase the 1911D key date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2017 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cc half eagles would be a challenge.

Get one to start. You'll find that you want another. And another.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
02/24/2019 5:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see you listed Peace dollars. I'd hit that one next before the prices start to rise again. I am amazed at the relatively low prices for a 1927, which is a sleeper in the series.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12448 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2019  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For MS-65 and better try Jefferson nickels 38-date . For mid to high grade circ . try Mercury dimes .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1198 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever considered a box of twenty?
Totally unique to the individual, and a lot of fun to plan for and put together.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1684 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A box of 20 is a great idea, especially for someone who has already completed a number of sets. It would always stay fresh if you were flexible about what you want in your set.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16341 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completed an Australian pre decimal type set made up of the rarest date/mm for each type (except 1930 Penny) with all gold type coins (17 of those) which included an Adelaide Pound (Australia's first gold coin).

Where to from here?

I asked myself:
"What sort of set would be impossible to complete?"
That was more than 40 years ago.

I have been collecting ancient coins ever since.
Currently have about 300 ancient coins, in all metals.
My avatar is one of them.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/341272#2920667
"In all metals"?

Well from a purist standpoint I don't know if the Ancients ever minted Gadolinium coins. This is the 4th room temperature ferromagnetic element. Well almost room temperature. Also Osmium coins -- never made. Osmium is the denest naturally occuring element: a fraction denser than iridium and much denser than Pt or Gold. I do have a gadolinium coin but only an Osmium ingot as the metal's too brittle for easy coin making.

Now you can make a Uranium coin, but it'd have to be U238. Each US citizen is permitted to own up to 1,500 grams of U238 for some strange reason. Surprisingly it's not too expensive: we use it to make armour piercing anti-tank shells due to the density (Gold & Ir are too expensive). I plan to get an ingot of it in case we ever get into a war with some tank-owning country.

You can actually get a lot of usual metals made into coins from a company called metallium. In any event they're also useful for instructing kids about elements and the periodic table. Some need to be sealed under Argon in glass vials due to their reactivity so I think the Ancients would've minted none of those.

Here's a pix of my son lecturing on unusual element coins & the periodic table to his 3rd grade science class.

Edited by Gallienus
02/25/2019 01:55 am
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some odd reason, I like the Standing Liberty design, both sides. A lot of years/MM's are very affordable, and they only came in quarters, which simplifies things, especially compared to the ubiquitous Barber design. I'll probably just get one decent one, since all I have now is one worn down over-polished one I got in a bunch of junk silver coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2019  07:20 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A type set is always a worthy goal (and a lot of fun, too). Once I "finished" my type set (It will never truly be finished because I keep upgrading it) I decided to first try putting together a "proof" type set and then focus on getting key dates for specific coins rather than collecting entire sets. So far I have a 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent, a 1916-D Winged Liberty ("Mercury") Dime, a 1921 Peace dollar, a 1932-D Washington quarter and a 1972 Eisenhower dollar (Type 2 Reverse).

Both of these collections are expensive to acquire and take a lot of care balancing cost and eye appeal, and as a result I now only buy 1 or 2 special coins each year. But is has been very rewarding for me.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05