Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan, 1880-S For Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  7:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add morganman56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to go through the raw stuff that was in my late Grandfather
and Father's collection, to see if I should send in the better ones for grading
at one of the third party services. Most were bought in the late 70's, early 80's.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6309 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you happen to have a tripod of some sort to hold the camera still? Photos are coming out blurry, likely from jostling the camera. They also make bluetooth remotes that will allow you to snap the picture without touching the phone/camera. I think if the camera was held still, the pictures would be really good.

The coin looks really nice. There also could be some doubling, but it is really impossible to say from these pictures.
Valued Member
Canada
163 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
65+. Hits on lower cheek and neck and below chin. Also a few scattered hits elsewhere. I'd be cautious about sending common date Morgan's in, unless it's a bulk submission.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morganman56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a tripod, will try that. But camera will be far away up on tripod. Will I have to zoom in?

There are quite a few coins that have fine opposing hairlines that can only be seen in the right light with a magnifying lens. Its a shame, because coins are in MS. I guess these should not go get graded.

Do cleaned coins become ungradeable, and just worth silver melt, or what?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7316 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  02:19 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a timer on your camera that would work too.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There wasn't all that much blur. You could just try again, or prop your elbows on the table while shooting.

With cleaned coins, it depends on the kind of cleaning, the rarity of the coin, and the grade. You can look at sale prices for various cleaned coins vs. their uncleaned counterparts with similar grades.
Edited by Pauldog
03/14/2019 03:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  07:07 am  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a tripod, will try that. But camera will be far away up on tripod. Will I have to zoom in?

You could always set the coin on a box or something. Just make sure the shot is clear & focused. I'm not suggesting that the photo was that bad, its just that it appears to be a high grade coin and you will get better opinions with better focus.

Quote:
There are quite a few coins that have fine opposing hairlines that can only be seen in the right light with a magnifying lens. Its a shame, because coins are in MS. I guess these should not go get graded.

Do cleaned coins become ungradeable, and just worth silver melt, or what?

I'm not seeing signs of cleaning on this coin. There could also be other reasons for seeing lines on coins that are not indicative cleaning, but rather part of the minting process.

As Pauldog said, the effect that cleaning has on value will depend on the type of cleaning, grade of coin, scarcity, etc.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33399 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This pic does not bring up the obverse fields very well. Considerable scuffing is evident on the left side and I'm guessing the same is true on the right side if we could see it better. I'd say 64 at best.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16573 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a 64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me too with MS64 - too me on an 1880-S Morgan is not worth grading or wasting the money on the fees at least, let someone else do that. Only if it's at least solid MS66 or better for that date would it make sense to me to spend $20-40 on grading a common Morgan.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
03/14/2019 5:49 pm
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morganman56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all - I have learned a lot in the short time I have been around.
I guess Pops probably knew, that is why they were left raw. (although he didn't tell me at the time, I'm finding out now!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8500 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
7059 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64+
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05