Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Old Silver Certificate And Some Interesting Error Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  6:20 pm Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got back from my annual excursion to the one coin show I attend. I do go there primarily for coins, but there are always a few dealers selling currency as well and one guy in particular is always there and I usually end up buying a few notes from him. This year was no exception.

First up is one of the last notes on my wish list, a Series 1886 Five Dollar Silver Certificate nicknamed the "Morgan Back" Note due to the design on the back that features five silver Morgan dollars:

[I was hoping to find one in a bit better condition, but at least it's all in one piece. Besides, I've been looking for one of these for years and this is the first time I have ever seen it at the show.]

Next up are a couple of error notes. I just recently started collecting these (along with fancy serial numbers) as I've managed to obtain most of the specific notes on my wish list, and here are two more to add to my collection:

This is an example of an "Offset Printing" or "Offset Transfer" error, which occurs when an inked plate makes contact with the bed, leading to no sheet being fed to the press to accept the intended ink. As a result, when the next sheet passes through the press, the area impressed onto the impression cylinder is then pressed onto the opposite side of the note.

This is an example of an "Overprint on Back" or "Reverse Overprint" error, which is generally caused by an uncut sheet being fed into a press with the obverse of the note facing the overprinting press. The information printed by the overprinting press include Treasury and Federal Reserve District seals, district numbers and serial numbers. Such a note will be missing these elements from the front, and instead have each displayed on the back.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27112 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are all nice.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jim7219 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never seen the one with the the Morgan on the back. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barry...

I always thought it was referred to as the "Silver Dollar Back". I guess either would be acceptable and appropriate. Nice pick ups no matter what they are called!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen them referred to as "Silver Dollar Back", " Morgan silver dollar Back" and simply "Morgan Back" (see, for example, http://www.antiquemoney.com/value-o...-back-bill/). I prefer Morgan back just because it's simpler.

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35533 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen all these terms as well, though "Silver Dollar Back" seems to be the most common. A note we don't see often here!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9515 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice group! I hadn't seen the "Morgan Back" either. Nice notes!
Learn More...
United States
70963 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful error notes! I've been looking for any offset transfer at a low price, but they're very pricey.
"Coin collectors aren't afraid of change."
-Unknown
Pillar of the Community
United States
1925 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful additions Barry, I particularly have a fondness for dramatic error notes.

Congratulations bud !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you like the error notes! Yes, they can be a bit pricey, but I've always wanted some good examples and have given up on ever finding any in the wild.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few other error notes I picked up at last year's show:

-----------

-----------

Learn More...
United States
70963 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are a few other error notes I picked up at last year's show:
Very nice!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05