Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Two Varieties Of 1957 Canada Small Cents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
165 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A dealer is selling two different varieties of 1957 on eBay. One is listed as Blunt 7 and the other as Pointed 7. I think it is at the back of the 7 in the same spot as found on 1947 Small Cents. I cannot see it clearly from his photos. I am waiting on a clear side by side photo from him. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of these two varieties existing for 1957?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never seen or heard of such a variety although
I'm no expert on Canadian cents.
Do you have the ID number, I would like to take a look
to make sure seller isn't trying to con somebody.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the coins being offered uncirculated? I am wary of "varieties" when it comes to circulated coins... even with uncirculated coins, die deterioration can lead to some minor changes in how the devices are being struck on the coin.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7517 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
asynpm, a seller who has been the subject of many discussions here, recently lists 1957 blunt and pointed 7 varieties.
I can't determine anything from the pics.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer is overcharging for shipping, but the total cost was not all that much, so I decided to just go ahead and make the purchase just to see what I get. The dealer claims that they are very similar to the 1947 penny varieties with one being the normal "blunt 7" variety and the other having a pointed 7. When I get them in the mail, I will post photos. You guys can tell me if they are minted from two different die types or just machine errors at that time.
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry to report that my coins have not yet arrived. They are way past due, so I contacted the dealer and I am supposed to have another group coming for free. We will see if the 7 is pointed or not. If it is not, I will let you know. If it is pointed, I will post photos.
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

So, I finally got my coins in the mail today, and I was disappointed. The top 1957 Canada Small Cent was supposed to be a Blunt 5 Variety and the bottom a Pointed 5 Variety, but they look to have the same exact seven to me. What do you think?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2262 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like exactly the same 7's to me..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28078 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked coinsandcanada and no such listing.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7517 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fives do look different to me but I think it's an error rather than different varieties of 5's or a broken hub
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/04/2019 10:30 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05