Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Coin Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arok to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

My best guess is this is a Roman coin. Somewhere between 1st and 4th AD.
Taking into consideration coin's condition, can anybody do any more precise identification for it?

Thank you.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly this one is too far gone to fully ID. Looks like maybe late 200's
Pillar of the Community
United States
4273 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sadly this one is too far gone to fully ID.

Completely agree, but it is often still fun to take an inventory of what we can see and determine - even if the incompleteness of the puzzle can be maddening.

I see a right-facing, possibly bearded, male bust for the obverse. The neckline or base of the portrait is deeply slanted. (I mention this convention because it may omit some Imperial mints or emissions from consideration)

I see a female, robed, figure in very pronounced contrapposto pose for the reverse. I see a hair bun. There may also be something on top of the head - perhaps a kalathos. Perhaps Homonoia/Concordia? She is holding out something, at hip height, to the left. Perhaps a patera? The top of a cornucopia is just barely visible, as are the remnants of a legend around the perimeter.

Granted, even assuming the above observations are correct, it may still leave a number of possible attributions. However, it will have also ruled out many thousands of others while perhaps also suggesting a provincial.

Edit: As an example of where this accounting might take us:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1660051

Edited by Bob L
03/24/2019 6:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
22419 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's going to be next to impossible t ID this coin, I would venture a guess of possibly Claudius II or Gallenius.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you share the size and weight with us?
Paul Bulgerin
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you folks for really quick and detailed replies here.

The size of the coin (or whatever left from it) is about 12mm max. The thickness is 2.2 mm. However, the weights are unfortunately out of my reach at this moment.

I bought this coin indeed for identification fun rather for anything else but apparently overestimated the variety of ancient coins vs. the quality of mine.
So, any help or hints are very much appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5629 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd start with a provincial coin of Septimius Severus - that's your best bet with that head shape and beard.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  11:02 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or perhaps a beat up antoninianus of Claudius II Gothicus (official issue or barbarous imitative) something like this?

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/nb...Default.aspx
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4150 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a provincial coin of Septimius Severus and the attribution to Homonoia is solid - I think Bob has this one. That example from Nikopolis is very convincing, but I'm not sure the city can be pinned down - this larger coin from Acrasus is also very close:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/...ton_4853.jpg
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, Septimius Severus, Nikopolis, Homonoia it will be. At least in my books :)

Actually, sometimes I even have a feeling that I can read
"niko" in the low left corner of the reverse. Though, It could be easily my imagination at this point, of cause :)

Thanks a lot every body for the help. Especially to Bob L for extra effort and strong lead.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
673 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob L is very good at these things arok, I don't think there is any more to be added at this point.
As far as the City is concerned, the reason you are seeing NIKO is because it does say NIKO ( KO end of patera )
It can often be a toss up between Phillipopolis or Nikopolis when the legend is virtually gone, the first letters are ofcourse the giveaway as well as a longer legend.
Here is a rough example of mine from Phillipopolis ( Sep Sev ) that looks a lot like yours but NOT the same.

Size 18mm - Weight 4.17g

Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arok to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. My seems to be slightly different from yours, indeed.
Thanks.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05