Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poll: Favorite Eagle On American Classic Coins

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
255 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  5:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
As far as I know, every American gold and silver coin large enough has an eagle on the back. Some are majestic, powerful and inspirational. The soaring eagle on the SLQ bespeaks freedom, the Morgan's beauty is timeless. The historicity of the Capped Bust/Seated coins is matched only by the Liberty Head gold coins (the ones with the "happy eagle.)"
Others, not so much. Because I see shapes in clouds, the Washington quarter reminds me of the Bacardi bat. I see a little bit of the turkey in the beautifully executed Walker. The St. Gaudens $20 looks like a B-52. It seems too fat to fly. Then there's the teeny weeny apologetic eagle on the Franklin that seems to be there only because it is supposed to be. It reminds me of the little Polish eagle on a jar of Polish dill pickles.
(Please don't take offense anyone who loves these coins, I'm just stating how they impress me personally).
Anyhow, this is a positive poll on favorites. Please vote for your own personal favorite. For simplicity, I have described the choices as broadly as I can. If I miss your favorite, please point that out in a reply. I ran out of room and couldn't include the Gobrecht Dollar/Flying Eagle Cent, which is probably my favorite, but arguably doesn't count.

Poll Choices
  Pre-Capped Bust
  Capped Bust/Liberty Seated
  Trade Dollar/20 cent
  Morgan dollar
 Barber
  Standing Liberty
  Walking Liberty
  Peace dollar
  Washington quarter
  Franklin half
  Kennedy half
  Liberty Head Gold
  Indian $2.50 and $5.00
  St. Gaudens $10
  St. Gaudens $20

Learn More...
United States
69544 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Franklin half
Kennedy half
These are not Classics, but if they are, then where is Ike?
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm partial, and while not silver/gold you should throw up the Flying Eagle cents!
Pillar of the Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite is Gobrecht Dollar/FEC
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck, I took the forum definition of 1964 and earlier as cut off for"classic." I don't disagree with you, though.
As for Ike, I'm not sure anything will ever beat the eagle landing on the moon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Peace dollar is my vote. Also love Gobrecht dollar and St. G. $20 eagles. If you are taking the entire reverse into account then the Saint Gaudens for sure.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17777 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found it odd that I never thought of all the Eagles on coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4490 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see my favorite US eagle in my profile pic.

Quote:
I found it odd that I never thought of all the Eagles on coins.

Over the years, there have been quite a few:

Even more if you include commemoratives and bullion:

Learn More...
United States
69544 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jbuck, I took the forum definition of 1964 and earlier as cut off for"classic."
For what it is worth, this is not how CCF separates them. Basically: Liberty is classic, dead people are modern.

Quote:
As for Ike, I'm not sure anything will ever beat the eagle landing on the moon.
Agreed.

And I get it. You wanted to give the people a choice. With Ike in the running, there is only one choice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of the choices offered, the Walker wins in my book. But, I prefer several of the eagles on classic and modern commemoratives. Two of my favorites are on the 1984 Olympic and the 2008 Bald Eagle Half. Can't forget the art deco eagle on the Bridgeport half as well.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 80Goat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the list provided, I picked the Morgan.

My all-time favorite would be the Ike. I am old enough to remember, "the Eagle has landed".
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm torn between the FE cent and the Moon Landing Ike's. They are beautiful!
My hoard of '82s is up to 156! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 3, 1182 x 7, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 4, 1582 x 12, 1682 x 12, 1782 x 40, 1882 x 39, 1982 x 21
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barber half for me, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it is just the symmetry of the entire reverse that I like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3666 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
8651 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2019  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St. Gaudens $20.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
6687 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty much any eagle by Gobrecht or Longacre. Don't see them on the poll.

After those...in my order of choice.
Standing Liberty quarter
Peace dollar
Walking Liberty half
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05