Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cud-like Anomaly On Washington's Ear Lobe. 2019 P Lowell Ma Quarter.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinMom4 shows a coin that appears to represent an earlier stage in the formation of the die chip. Neat!
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2565 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One sold today on ebay for $64. Could be the next wounded eagle like variety.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-P-LOW...AOSw06tc7KHx
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like old George decided to get his ears pierced.
Edited by 1993Z
06/16/2019 8:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollectionMaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, found one of these coins, but I didn't notice this thread at the time: http://goccf.com/t/349420
Pillar of the Community
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve Bernatowicz, whom I cite in both of my Coin World articles, suggests that the circular crack (and subsequent die chip) are both due to hubbing-induced brittle failure. The blank working die wasn't sufficiently annealed. As the hub pressed down upon the tip of the working die's cone-shaped face, a small circular crack developed. This led to worsening brittle failure as the press run proceeded. While speculative, it is certainly plausible and accounts for the perfect centering and near-perfect circularity of the defect.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting die failure with resulting chip.

Just seeing this thread and noticed the incomplete "circle" on Coinmom's image as well.

(Another reason to like Mike, extremely knowledgeable and human. Thank you.)
Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccobb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool find!
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not intending to be OCD...but isn't a die chip's size categorized as 1mm or less, a small die break 1 to 3mm, and a large die break >3mm? What size do you determine to be of Washington's donut "die chip?"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37992 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mike:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's entirely arbitrary what criteria one uses to distinguish between various forms of interior die breaks. Alan Herbert's criteria (which I believe you are citing) are just as arbitrary as anyone else's. I use a criterion of 4 square millimeters to distinguish between die chips and larger interior die breaks. But that's simply for my use and for anyone who chooses to adopt it.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received your follow up article in Coin World. Was looking forward to it and enjoyed it very much. I appreciate all your insight into the matter. Thank-you!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05