Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Spend It On?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  11:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I plan to cash in some junk silver and other stuff coming up, maybe around $200-250 worth. My intent is to spend the money on a numismatic item. My choices on the table are thus: a common lower grade or even damaged Seated dollar, a common lower grade Trade dollar (both of which my LCS has currently in this price range), a GSA CC Morgan (1883 preferably, which another LCS quoted in this range), or some gold. I am soliciting your input. I do not yet have any such items in my collection.

What would you buy? Thanks in advance.

Poll Choices
  Seated Liberty dollar
  Trade dollar
  GSA Carson City Morgan
  Gold (explain)
  Other (explain)

Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Edited by hcmusicguy
04/08/2019 11:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12805 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seated dollar and expand your search past your LCS
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1616 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also voted for the Seated dollar, but don't settle for a damaged or detailed coin. Wait until you find a lower grade coin with original skin in that price range.
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd buy a US Large Cent, that's what I collect.

If I was you, I'd buy the Seated dollar.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16113 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a reasonably large stash junk silver, but mainly in World coins.

Although I have a rather nice collection of about 100 American classic coins, my first numismatic love is ancients. I would buy outright, or make a bid on a single desirable ancient coin at public auction.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3551 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an outlier with the Trade dollar choice. Within your price range I recently purchased one for my 7070 and it was in decent shape. It had a chop mark but it was well placed.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
4314 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"... or even damaged Seated dollar ..."
DEFINITELY NOT!
You buy a coin with a problem and you will always have a coin with a problem.

As for your other options, that's up to you.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
04/09/2019 08:46 am
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seated Liberty dollar. Because that is what I need. Two of them to be precise.

Of course, you would need to cough up some more cash to get a decent example. Do not settle for a hole filler here.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18745 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any Mercury dime with full bands.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
556 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold. With the price hovering around $1300, has been for a longer than normal cycle, coins tend to remain relative to the market. The exception, of course, are the key/semi-key dates. That said, I foresee a rise in the coming year. Buy now if possible. I am.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3710 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest avoiding damaged (problem) coins or particularly low grade coins. Patience is key, find something you love and don't settle.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12053 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2019  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to agree with just carl . Common dates and mints MS-63-64FSB in my opinion are sleepers and are very inexpensive . Get on the bandwagon now for long term investment .
This is what I would recommend you buy .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sharpstrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I'd go $2.5 gold Indian Head in a nice grade, common date! :)

Hard to go wrong with your choices though!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I would do if buying one of the coins:
Seated dollar budget $500 original with eye appeal in XF. Hard to find. Do not buy Details Coin.
A nice orginal XF Trade dollar can be found in your budget.
GSA Morgan find a NGC graded MS64 PL budget $400. You will love the coin.
$2.50 Indian Head PCGS MS 62 budget $350.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with the Trade dollar since you can actually get something decent for $200. A Seated dollar in that price range would be extremely worn or damaged, as you point out. And I've never been much of a fan of the Morgan dollar design, perhaps because you see it so much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$200 for a low-grade Trade dollar is about $100 too much. You can get a nice XF for that price.

Seated dollars have also come down a lot in value in the lower end. Strive for a nice F/VF.

I voted "other" because you can get a nice AU capped bust half for around $250. Or even a seated half. These represent the best value in US numismatics.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05