Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shipping Your Coins The Most Cost Effective Way Possible

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Basebal21 says you can use priority flat rate padded mailers which holds more than a small FR box for the same price but do you really want to put all that weight of 15-20-25 rolls in a envelope ?
Just my two cents ; whatever that is worth .

I have shipped 40 rolls of nickels in the flat rate padded envelope numerous times with no problems. Of course you have to use some "smarts" and pack it securely. The $1 shipping tape from Dollar Tree is your friend! Fashion a box from cardboard that will fit into the envelope, insert rolled coin, tape the heck out of it, insert into envelope, seal, and tape the heck out of the envelope. Done properly,nothing moves around in the envelope.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10630 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok , this thread is getting to be quite informative for members who don't do much shipping .
ratman4762 > are you talking about a small .med or large FR envelope and how much to ship those 40 Nickel rolls ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2338 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im going to ship T-BOP here 14 rolls of copper Lincoln cents.

whats the cheapest way to do that?

small flate rate? $8?

padded envelope? $$$?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The padded envelope and small box flat rate prices are pretty much the same. I would just use the small box, but make sure you tape the ends.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best of my knowledge there is only 1 size padded flat rate envelope. It's been a couple of years since I shipped using them, but the price difference between small flat rate box & padded mailer was like 15 cents (back when they were around $5 to ship) As previously mentioned, you can ship up to 70 pounds in the flat rate, so selling & shipping larger lots is more profitable. (I think I could only get 26 rolls of paper wrapped nickels into a small flat rate box if I remember correctly)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11863 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There should only be one size for the padded mailer though there is a priority and an express version. I can't remember for the express but the cost difference between the priority small box and padded is still basically nothing. The small box is a few cents cheaper if you can fit it in that, if not the padded is the way to go.

There's a number of products that can be ordered free that most post offices don't really stock.
https://store.usps.com/store/result...0v8v?Nrpp=48

The padded priority ones are here
https://store.usps.com/store/produc...ope-P_EP14PE
Pillar of the Community
United States
2338 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok,

how much would it be to ship a single coin in a carboard 2x2?
standard forever stamp envelope? 55c?
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I've received many coins in a regular envelope
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I'm wondering about is how thick a coin can be and still be shipped in a thin envelope and pay the lowest First Class fee. For instance, it would only cost 55 to mail a few dimes or pennies wrapped in a bit of thin-foam padding. But I'm not sure about nickels or quarters. At the post office, they said that the limit is 1/4" (and it needs to be bendable), but I've used the package rate (somewhat under $3) to mail half dollars and 1-oz silver rounds. I haven't mailed anything smaller yet.

I have shipped nickels and quarter sized coin in flip or paper 2 x 2 with no problem, packaging it as you describe, and normal 50 cent stamp.

You can also ship international for $1.15 I think.

Next step up for me is to attach the coin (in a flip or 2 x 2) between two pieces of thin cardboard (half dollars, but I have also shipped some "Blue Ikes" this way with another small amount of postage, as these go over 1 ounce). If under 1 oz., you buy a 72 cent stamp and get it hand cancelled by the clerk, or write "NON-MACHINABLE" in red ink (same as their red hand-stamp), and put it through the slot..

If your postal clerk is "by the book" they will measure the thickness, but they can't if you just drop it in the slot.

But remember if the customer files an INR, you are screwed and have no recourse. I don;t know my exact loss rate, but it is on the order of 1 out of 100. Maybe I'm lucky.

Quote:
how much would it be to ship a single coin in a carboard 2x2?

I don't do it for pennies, nickels or dimes I always take the coin out and re-package into something thinner. The size and thickness of the 2 x 2 can only cause problems if you are going to mail at basic first class rate. I have sold a few lower value quarters the same way, and shipped some better ones in their 2 x 2 between cardboard as I described above.
Edited by tdziemia
04/14/2019 9:59 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05