Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Innovation Dollar Designs

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  3:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Mint has posted the considered designs for the 2019 Innovation dollars.

As a result of today's meeting, the CCAC is recommending design 5 for DE, design 11 for PA, design 2 for NJ and design 2 for GA.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1542 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting set of designs but about the best I can say about them is that many of them have a very modern feel. Some are retro, none of them classic, and all of them largely uninspired (or at least uninspiring). I have the first one because I really like the gears. And as as introductory piece, I can consider my type set complete already.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1120 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCAC discussions about designs are always interesting to listen to.

When multiple themes for the coin are considered (as was the case for DE, PA and NJ), then they have to decide both on which theme and which design to select. Plus, with state coins such as these, there's the state governor's opinion to consider (they don't always recommend the governor's recommendation) as well.

Present day politics ALWAYS come into play. Case in point, for the PA polio vaccine theme, there was considerable discussion concerning the current measles outbreak and anti-vaccine issues, and hypodermic syringes and the opioid/heroin crisis affecting the country.

The CCAC is also inconsistent IMHO when they discuss "been there done that" about the designs. Another case in point was the DE themes. Nylon was a no-go for the CCAC because there have been too many war themed commemoratives in their collective opinion, yet no one brought up the fact that the light bulb was already commemorated on the Thomas Edison commemorative coin.
Edited by BadDog
04/16/2019 5:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they got 10th grade art class to draw them up. The Penn Pike? New Jersey Light bulbs for some reason?
If this is how they are going with it, I think I'll pass on the whole series. Wake me in 2032. the fist coin looks like it might be the best coin.
Pillar of the Community
648 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and all of them largely uninspired (or at least uninspiring). I have the first one because I really like the gears. And as as introductory piece, I can consider my type set complete already.

I agree with alpha on this.

Quote:
New Jersey Light bulbs for some reason?

Big I think they did this because Edison in 1876 established his first laboratory facility in Menlo Park, New Jersey, where many of his early inventions would be developed.

He is synonymous with the light bulb and with his lab in NJ they might have picked it for that reason.

Now for my observations.

Quote:
The common obverse is to bear "a design symbolic of Liberty" and include the inscription IN GOD WE TRUST.

Quote:
The reverse is also to bear the denomination as $1

It looks like the are moving the $1 from the front of the coin to the back.

It was on the front of the introduction coin.

Quote:
The 56-individual reverses are to be a designs that reflects "a significant innovation, an innovator or pioneer, [or] a group of innovators or pioneers" from the state, District of Columbia or U.S. territory honored. A provision in H.R. 6025 prohibits the use of any portrait or bust of any person living or dead

How are they going to put an innovator or pioneer, [or] a group of innovators or pioneers on the coin if a provision in H.R. 6025 prohibits the use of any portrait or bust of any person living or dead?

I also do not see George Washingtons signature which is supposed to be on every coin as he signed the first patent.
Edited by ckrakowski
04/16/2019 5:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1542 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The reverse is also to bear the denomination as $1
I'm curious where you saw this. I didn't notice this on any of the reverse designs. The legislation requires that on the obverse, with the statue.

Quote:
How are they going to put an innovator or pioneer, [or] a group of innovators or pioneers on the coin if a provision in H.R. 6025 prohibits the use of any portrait or bust of any person living or dead?
We discussed this earlier -- it's in the definition of portrait/bust. Fuller body representations are acceptible.

Quote:
I also do not see George Washingtons signature which is supposed to be on every coin as he signed the first patent.
Only on the introductory coin, per the legislation.

For reference, here's the legislation: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...ill/770/text
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the designs are rather interesting, some are real snoozers. I am sure the latter will end up on the coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"The Toothbrush Quarter" for DE

Aren't we all glad people like Weinman were around when they were? Can you imagine if this kind of stuff (well - most of it) was all we had to choose from to collect from the past?

Don't get me wrong. Any design I came up with would likely be worse. But at least I would go back to the masters and try to think like them to come up with something that does not look like an advertising token, cereal box art, or a souvenir coin given out at a carnival.

Having said that, there are a couple I do like the looks of. A couple of the GA garden ones are nice.

I'd still like to see a return to special design not being the norm. The WOW factor of seeing "something different" in coinage is gone for me. I do, however, understand how people can enjoy the huge variety.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12812 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
9 is the only one I even remotely like for DE. The PA design looks nice, the rest are another swing and a miss especially the ones they picked
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a Pennsylvania native, my reaction to the proposed PA Turnpike design would be "Is that all ya got?"

Of course, I prefer the vaccine design (even if it would upset the anti-vax crowd), but there are plenty more innovations from PA that appear to have been overlooked. Off the top of my head, how about the Ferris Wheel or Franklin's Lightning Rod? I'd even prefer recognizing Heinz perfecting packaged condiments!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DE
Classification of the stars is going to be too obscure for most people to understand and even if they do the only two that even halfway illustrate it are 7 and 8. Invention of nylon is a good subject and if the CCAC wants to avoid war themes (Which is probably a good idea, we have had too many.) then 10 is the only choice. 15 and 16 I'm not sure what they are commemorating, The Singer sewing machine? No identification on the designs.

PA
A Highway? Really? And we already did a polio commemorative just a few years back. PA needs to be sent back to the drawing board to try again. None of the turnpike designs show anything unique to the PA turnpike, you could change the name of the state and use them for any other state, but you would have to drop the keystone symbol. None of the polio vaccine designs really interest me, but I do have a slight interest in 19 with the iron lung. I seriously doubt many people would understand #21 and what it means, frankly it turns out it doesn't mean what I thought it did. No scrap all of them and start over.

NJ
We already did Edison and the light bulb (and did a better job of it as well) so I wouldn't even consider those. Of the motion picture choices the only one that shows any "reel" imagination is number 9.

GA
Trustees Garden is all Georgia can come up with? A garden planted during the settlement of the state that was turned into residences twenty years later. It had two major developments the peach tree and the cotton that became the major crop of the south. (Highlighting cotton though can be politically a problem.) The only one that focuses on both crops is number 3.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PA
A Highway? Really? And we already did a polio commemorative just a few years back. PA needs to be sent back to the drawing board to try again. None of the turnpike designs show anything unique to the PA turnpike, you could change the name of the state and use them for any other state, but you would have to drop the keystone symbol. None of the polio vaccine designs really interest me, but I do have a slight interest in 19 with the iron lung. I seriously doubt many people would understand #21 and what it means, frankly it turns out it doesn't mean what I thought it did. No scrap all of them and start over.

Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man I can't wait until they get to my state Florida, Will it be 1. Suntan lotion. 2. Key Lime Pie 3. Famous Amos Cookies 4. Gatoraid or 5. frozen orange juice concentrate......

Decisions, decisions. it's tough, they are all winners in my book!

I seriously believe "Florida Man" should be on our American Innovation coins, the guy is responsible for everything int he news from here! If "Florida Man" isn't an innovator, I don't know what an innovator is!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A Highway? Really?

Oh how the passing of time numbs us to the amazing feats of the past (me included)!

PA design - Turnpike. The first superhighway highway in the US. It was conceived in 1937 and ground was broken in 1938 while being heralded as a new way of constructing highway. It was a very big deal for the day.

History has just removed us from the novelty and original wow factor of the idea since a "superhighway" is now the norm aka. we are spoiled :

Its design was the basis for modern transportation all over.

From http://www.pahighways.com/toll/PATurnpike.html :

Quote:
"What separated this highway from others was that it was considered one continuous design task from Irwin to Carlisle. Charles Noble, a design engineer for the Commission who later moved on to become chief engineer for the New Jersey Highway Department and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, described this feat in the July 1940 Civil Engineering magazine, "Unlike the existing highway systems of the United States, in which design standards fluctuate every few miles, depending on the date of construction, the Turnpike will have the same design characteristics throughout its 160-mile length. Every effort has been directed towards securing uniform and consistent operating conditions for the motorist." He also went on to say, "In fact, the design was attacked from the viewpoint of motor-car operation and the human frailty of the driver, rather than from that of the difficulty of the terrain and method of construction This policy of design, based on vehicle operation, is relatively new."

I have travelled back and forth on this route so very, very many times in my life. It passes through some incredibly beautiful places. I get a kick out of (it seems all) kids who seem to spontaneously come up with the same game..."can you hold your breath all the way through the tunnels?" And good 'ol I-76 is currently one of the most overpriced and under-kept options for traveling in PA. I now avoid it whenever I can!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have travelled back and forth on this route so very, very many times in my life. It passes through some incredibly beautiful places. I get a kick out of (it seems all) kids who seem to spontaneously come up with the same game..."can you hold your breath all the way through the tunnels?" And good 'ol I-76 is currently one of the most overpriced and under-kept options for traveling in PA. I now avoid it whenever I can!

You probably also remember that one part of the so-called "continuous design" of the original PA turnpike was that every rest stop was a Howard Johnson's.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a PA resident also, I would prefer first cable television network or first oil rig, or even the toilet paper roll...all more consequential to the lives of all modern Americans than the PA turnpike or polio vaccination.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05