Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pom On $1 Dollar Coin 1985

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,202Next Topic  

Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not a coin collector and won't be posting much on the forums but I have a query I want to clear up. Is it true that the letters POM were drawn on this coin by someone working at the Royal Australian Mint. Only could find one reference to this on google but remember quite clearly this being "a thing" in the 80s. Appreciate your help.
thanks
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1546 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got an image? I haven't heard that story.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50475 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5172 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No-one at the Mint would have done this. More likely someone with a set of letter punches did some PMD (Post Mint damage) to the coin.

Quote:
remember quite clearly this being "a thing" in the 80s
I was around in the 80's and don't remember anything of this nature being a 'thing'.

life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone.

In case anyone was still wondering,.. I have one of these coins.

They most certainly were a "thing"

As the story goes, about 40 years ago my father who was an antique dealer and his friends who were also antique dealers were flashing them around at a bbq and having a good laugh.
I think they may of had a roll of them.
Later in life he showed me the coin again and told me of a guy who indeed did work at the mint and had somehow modified the coin. He showed me with a magnifying glass and yes, the word "pom" has replaced the initials Rjd or whatever they usually are.
The guy who did it was caught of course fired from the mint and from memory served jail time.
I have no idea if the coin made mass circulation.

I rang the mint and a few dealers and no one knew of it's existence. I then found someone who had heard the story and explained PMD and told me that if it is infact "stamped" in it could be worth a pretty penny!

This op is the only reference I have found on the net and thought I'd post after my memory was jogged this morning from looking at a mule dollar on gumtree.

If any interest is shown I may post a photo but I'm not sure how it would turn out with my camera,.. it's very small.

Anyways, that's the Aussie "Pom" dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
777 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
\_(#12484;)_/ too early for me first time I heard about this.
Edited by ryurazu
08/07/2020 9:46 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5172 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if a 'mint worker' did this to any $1 coins they would not carry any sort of premium as they would simply be classed as "Post Mint Damage" and be worth face value only.

I've been a collector since the 60's and this is the first I've ever heard of this "damaged" coin.
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the only other thing I could find...

https://www.answers.com/Q/Did_someo...alian_dollar

Bidding starts at 14 large
Learn More...
Australia
13423 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an urban myth.

The "kernel of truth" behind this myth, is the designer's initials on the base bust of the obverse. 1985 was the first year of issue of the new portrait, designed by Raphael David Maklouf. His initials, "RDM", appear on the base of the portrait. The letters in "RDM" are cursive and run together a bit, so it does look a little bit like "POM". But it isn't. It really isn't. But back in 1985 when the design first came out, someone noticed the "RDM", thought it said "POM", and made up a story about how some red republican rebels must have "broken into the mint and vandalized the dies", since surely no-one else would want to deliberately put "POM" on the Queen's portrait. (for the non-Australians reading this: "Pom" is a mildly derogatory slang term for "Someone from Britain").

The story probably even made it into the popular press of the day. Just like those stories of people finding "fake $20 notes that are missing Flynn's name". But those stories are wrong. They're not "fake", they're just old notes from the first series, which didn't have the name there. Likewise, the story of the "POM coins" is wrong.

Have a look at any Australian coin minted between 1985 and 1998. You will see the exact same "RDM" designer's mark on the truncation of the bust.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
Australia
13423 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or if you want further evidence: Almost all Commonwealth countries that used the queen's portrait (except for Canada) used the exact same Maklouf portrait of the Queen during this time period. So look at any British coin from 1985-1998, such as this image of a proof 1985 1 coin, and you will see the exact same cursive "RDM" inscribed on the bust. There's no way anybody in Britain would describe the Queen as a "Pom".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5172 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap, you're a mine of info as usual and all of it bang on the money.
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,202Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05