Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019-w ATB Quarter Surfaces!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason it happened was actually because I traded out some dollars I got a few days before for about 10 rolls of quarters, completely forgetting about the Ws for a second, just to hunt for uncommon 2010-12 ATBs. They were Loomis rolls with about 70% MS Guams and maybe one Mariana in total. Finding a W Mariana now is gonna be a real pain for sure.

In addition I haven't found a single D minted 2019 quarter of any kind, not even Lowell, but then again I usually don't until the next year anyway.
Edited by BrandaBob
07/10/2019 3:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bcuda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went and bought 2 boxes of quarters today from the bank.

One box was all circulated quarters the other box was super shiny and thought I hit the jackpot with some new 2109 quarters. The whole box was all brand new 2018 D Voyagers quarters. Now do I go through them or just dump them at another bank.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the kind of hunter you are.

If you like looking for errors and varieties, or even just high mint state examples, then it wouldn't hurt to open them.

Though if you just want Ws or other dates, I'd return them.
Edited by BrandaBob
07/10/2019 10:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these W quarters considered instant key dates?
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
872 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi USSID18,

it remains to be seen at this point, if people consider them a subset and not necessary for the quarters set, then it's not a key date.
If people feel it's necessary, then it can be a key date to the set.
it can apply in both categories also. and both types of collectors will want them.

It depends on how they get collected by the community, and it's too early to tell. There are always completists, but are their 2 million completists?

Time will tell on how it winds up.

Still seems on ebay that there are a few selling at $5 or $6 each but the average is around $15, usually selling around $10-almost $20 per coin.
I think Raw is likely an easy sell fro any design of W quarter for $10.00 from what I see on Ebay. And that's not bad for $0.25. People are valuing them over the run of the mill regular Ps or Ds still.

Instant Key date... I'm not sure, it's not Necessary for a P or D collection like those S mintmark NIFC ones aren't "necessary".
but I am sure it's a "variety" that is collectible.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are these W quarters considered instant key dates?

For ultra moderns they currently are. They're bringing pretty good premiums in grades that other ultramoderns never really would.In terms of the whole series they wouldn't be, but long series like this you really have to separate into three categories when discussing them with the silver then clad then the ultramoderns. You could do it even further for quarters with the State Quarters and ATB too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback Big-Kingdom, basebal21. I was thinking for such a low mintage of 2Mil each, they would be instant key dates. Your detailed explanation cleared that up. Thanks!

I search a lot of quarters the past 6 months. Speaking of the surfaces.. Has anyone noticed a distinct difference in the surface/luster/finish between the new business strike 2019 P & D quarters?

The difference in my opinion is dramatic! The lusher on the D's is almost proof like compared to the P's. They really jump out it you! The P's look like a satin finish compared to the D's It must be something with the die, strike or minting process. Or maybe it's a planchet issue. Have any of you noticed this? Here are some pictures.

Edited by USSID18
02/10/2020 8:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a distinct difference in the surface/luster/finish between the new business strike 2019 P & D quarters?

Truth be told I haven't paid much attention to the 2019 quarters, but that wouldn't surprise me at all nor the first time something like that happened.
Pillar of the Community
United States
872 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a difference between the P, and D for sure. also for those S mint coins and the W's.
Philadelphia does the volume, Denver Generally does less, but they have a higher quality output.

I'd be lying if I said I could determine a P from a D or a W or an S from the rolls, especially once the circulate a bit, but there are clear differences in the presses and manufacturing settings of the different mints with the BU coins that I've notice are absolutely perceptible when side by side and comparing them.

Why does Philadelphia always have the errors? My guess is because they just crank out coins and the quality isn't THAT important as Denver seems to run it.

Denver has the better strike of the two, it's "sharper", deeper details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a difference between the P, and D for sure. also for those S mint coins and the W's.
Philadelphia does the volume, Denver Generally does less, but they have a higher quality output.

I'd be lying if I said I could determine a P from a D or a W or an S from the rolls, especially once the circulate a bit, but there are clear differences in the presses and manufacturing settings of the different mints with the BU coins that I've notice are absolutely perceptible when side by side and comparing them.

Why does Philadelphia always have the errors? My guess is because they just crank out coins and the quality isn't THAT important as Denver seems to run it.

Denver has the better strike of the two, it's "sharper", deeper details.

Thanks for the reality check! I thought it was just me.

Couldn't agree more with your synopsis between Denver and Philly. I say move the "entire" Philly workforce and management to Denver and the "entire" Denver workforce and management to Philly. I beat we would see an instant change, in both mints!

I picture the Philly production floor looking like a construction site and the Denver production floor looking like an operation room.

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I do have the Philadelphia and Denver issues in the annual mint sets, and the San Francisco issues from a subscription I have, I have avoided the West Point issues given their high price. Fortunately at the end of the day the run will only be eleven coins (in this series), but at $75 and up for a set of five of 2019, I have passed.

By the way, I am only twenty miles from the Denver mint. Please do not send those east coast minters here, thank you.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmgi2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "W" quarters are all going to be sought after, but the higher the grade the better, because most of them that don't get found quickly are going to get banged around in circulation. I see no reason why even the average circulated ones won't sell for a decent premium long term, just as we see with the 1982-83 quarters, only more so because the mintage of the W quarters is so much less. That being said, I don't know if someone should be paying the current Ebay prices for circulated ones, they most likely will come down in price somewhat over the next year or two, but who really knows. They definitely are worth looking for in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The "W" quarters are all going to be sought after, but the higher the grade the better, because most of them that don't get found quickly are going to get banged around in circulation. I see no reason why even the average circulated ones won't sell for a decent premium long term, just as we see with the 1982-83 quarters, only more so because the mintage of the W quarters is so much less. That being said, I don't know if someone should be paying the current Ebay prices for circulated ones, they most likely will come down in price somewhat over the next year or two, but who really knows. They definitely are worth looking for in circulation.

There's a guy selling two complete sets, $20 per coin. Seems reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...gton+quarter

CCF Advertiser
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05